What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desperate :( Pictures from a trip destroyed.. Need some help!

Katie

Hello guys!

I'm new here and I need your help! My pictures from a trip got destroyed, because my friend played with the camera settings.... :cry: Now most of them look really terrible compared to the ones taken before my friend changed the brightness. So, I'm wondering if there's a way to enhance the quality at least a little bit? Or if there's a filter I can use. I'm not new to Photoshop, but I'm new to working with photography. So, I'd greatly appreciate any advice you guys can give!!!!

One thing I learned from this is to never give your camera to anyone! :mad2:

Attachments

• london.jpg
    london.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 16
I know it's a bit difficult to see the problem, but I guess you can see that the quality of the picture is very low. If you look at Big Ben you can see that it's a little pixelated....

Anyway, I tried to edit them and some pictures looked better when I increased the contrast. However, most of them still look crappy. I think I'll just have to live with that. :neutral:

Thanks for trying to help me though! I was using Canon PowerShot G9. And I'm not sure what Raw is, sorry! The friend of mine changed the ISO settings from Auto to lower (400 or 200 maybe less)....

I know it's a bit difficult to see the problem, but I guess you can see that the quality of the picture is very low. If you look at Big Ben you can see that it's a little pixelated....

Anyway, I tried to edit them and some pictures looked better when I increased the contrast. However, most of them still look crappy. I think I'll just have to live with that. :neutral:

Thanks for trying to help me though! I was using Canon PowerShot G9. And I'm not sure what Raw is, sorry! The friend of mine changed the ISO settings from Auto to lower (400 or 200 maybe less)....

Katie,

A lower ISO is not necessary a bad thing. Think of ISO as the overall sensitivity to light that the sensor (film) has. At 100 it's not very sensitive, at 400 more so, 800 is very sensitive, 16,000 means you better have a $5000 camera to pull that off. :) If it was getting dark out, then a higher ISO would allow you to have more options when it comes to the other settings (shutter speed and aperture).

Anyhow, it looks like it was pretty light out!

I"m not sure the G9 will shoot RAW, but that's a whole other topic. To tweak this image, right off, I would do a couple of things. What version of PS are you running? This image need some correction from lens distortion... the reason old Ben there isn't standing up straight.

Tyler

Oh, thank you so much Tyler for explaining this to me! You seem to know a lot about cameras! :D I'm running the latest CS6 version. Now I know much more about the ISO thing, thanks again! :)

Ohhh that's why this one is the worst of them all.... Well, she was playing around with the settings... :frown:

Here's another picture (high resolution), you can see that it has some kind of noise all over it....

Attachments

• london2.jpg
    london2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Right, then she must have changed it to higher ISO... :confused:

Yeah, most consumer grade camera start to produce somewhat nosily images at about 800 ISO. :( There are tools that can help reduce it, including Photoshop, but the best thing to do it avoid it in camera... not much help to you now, I know.

Back