What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between Photoshop brush cursor size and actual brush size

psychepool

Hello.
I'm using Photoshop CS6, and I have a problem with the brush cursor. Question about the difference between Photoshop brush cursor size and actual brush size

There is a problem that the size of the brush actually drawn is larger than the size of the Photoshop brush cursor.
Even if I adjust the brush size, the actual brush is always drawn larger than the cursor by a certain percentage.
Any options to solve this?
I am also using Photoshop CC on the same PC, but CC does not have this problem.

The tablet I am using is a Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-860.

KakaoTalk_20220627_170420500.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
Please go to Brush Settings (Window>Brush Settings> select). When it shows up, check if any other settings are on for the brush? Also, check the properties of the Wacom Tablet brush tip. Let us know.
Also, tell us how your normal mouse is functioning as a cursor on PS?
5.png

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @psychepool
There are a couple things I will add yet I don't think it is this first point:

1) The cursor size actually changes depending on the brush opacity settings. Very low opacity and the cursor gets smaller when using the Standard Cursor mode.
I don't thing this is your issue because what you drew did not appear to be a very low opacity stroke

2) Check this link out though about the same problem for CS6 on newer equipment where you have to hack it to not have a real smaller UI. This could be your issue:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...ze-is-smaller-than-painted-area/td-p/10430613

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

psychepool

Please go to Brush Settings (Window>Brush Settings> select). When it shows up, check if any other settings are on for the brush? Also, check the properties of the Wacom Tablet brush tip. Let us know.
Also, tell us how your normal mouse is functioning as a cursor on PS?
View attachment 130782

I'm not sure which setting to look at. I'm using the same brush presets on another PC with CS6 and I haven't had this problem.

psychepool

Hi @psychepool
There are a couple things I will add yet I don't think it is this first point:

1) The cursor size actually changes depending on the brush opacity settings. Very low opacity and the cursor gets smaller when using the Standard Cursor mode.
I don't thing this is your issue because what you drew did not appear to be a very low opacity stroke

2) Check this link out though about the same problem for CS6 on newer equipment where you have to hack it to not have a real smaller UI. This could be your issue:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...ze-is-smaller-than-painted-area/td-p/10430613

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

There seems to be a hint in your answer.
Because when I first installed CS6 on this PC, there was a resolution problem, and I just remembered that someone gave me a hack to fix the resolution problem and applied it.

It was a long time ago, so I can't remember how I solved the resolution problem, but I'll try to recall the memory by looking at the link you attached.

thank you so much!

psychepool

I changed the properties by referring to the link you sent.

Change high DPI settings -> Scaling performed by -> Application

With this change, the brush size matches the actual brush size.
However, due to resolution issues, all menus and icons are displayed too small.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I solved the resolution problem by referring to this content.

The monitor resolution of the PC with the brush size issue is 3840 x 2160.
A PC without the issue has a monitor resolution of 2560 x 1440.

On a PC using 3840 x 2160, it is difficult to work without applying the above option because the size of the menus is too small.
Is there any way to solve the brush cursor problem while applying the resolution problem solution from the link above?

puraidodes

Here are some links you can check out-

or reset the preferences of PS. (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) + Open Photoshop

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
I changed the properties by referring to the link you sent.

Change high DPI settings -> Scaling performed by -> Application

With this change, the brush size matches the actual brush size.
However, due to resolution issues, all menus and icons are displayed too small.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I solved the resolution problem by referring to this content.

The monitor resolution of the PC with the brush size issue is 3840 x 2160.
A PC without the issue has a monitor resolution of 2560 x 1440.

On a PC using 3840 x 2160, it is difficult to work without applying the above option because the size of the menus is too small.
Is there any way to solve the brush cursor problem while applying the resolution problem solution from the link above?
Have you tried the newer referenced fix?
https://danantonielli.com/app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix-2019/
That is the latest fix of which I am aware.
Maybe a forum member that has cs6 on windows could jump in.
I am a CC user on.Mac so about at the limit of my help in this topic.
j
John Wheeler

psychepool

Here are some links you can check out-

or reset the preferences of PS. (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) + Open Photoshop

I tried this, but nothing changed. Thanks for your help.

psychepool