What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between PS 6 & 7

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

Are the differences between Photoshop 6 & 7 that significant.

My interest is image creation and manipulation rather than web output. Are there any features in 7 that are really worthy of the extra price.

Any opinions appreciated.

Many thanks

Sark

Welcome to the community Sark! :)

I'm assuming that you're working with PS6 right now and that you are thinking of upgrading to 7.0? And, if that's the case, you might want to think of sitting tight for a bit. PS8 is due to be released in the next couple of months! ;)

In any case, there's lots of reviews on PS7's new features (over previous versions) on the web. http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s153.htm this is just one of many for the reading. :)

I never worked with PS6 so I can't really advise you as to whether it is as you say, worth the exta expense. [innocent]

Welcome aboard Sark!! I also use PS for image creation/manipulation at the moment (although i am getting more into web [confused] ), and have recently moved up from 6 to 7 and would definately say, that yes, there is a difference between the two, and i would definately not make the change back to 6 (unless i absolutely had to - there are features in 7 that i "just can't live without") But as for your question of it being worth the extra price... ;\

oh hell yeah 7 is better than 6... it was one of the upgrades that was said to be a "must have" but CS was just announced (its CS for creative studio not Photoshop 8) so might as well wait for a month or so for it to ship and then upgrade to that.

Welcome, Sark!

I agree with everyone who's posted. The thing I like best about 7 is the new brush engine...you can do AMAZING things with it. It approaches Painter in capability (but not quite...Painter specializes in natural media).

But again, as everyone has said PS CS has just been announced. You might want to check at Adobe's site, though...sometimes the new upgrade is free if you've upgraded within a certain time period.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't yet worked with PS, I have Elements 2 and want to get the big brother.
It was really a price issue, I can probably stretch to Version 7 if, as it seems, it is worth the extra cost.
8 will have to wait for now, but at least 7 will enable me be to upgrade to 8 some time in the future.

Thanks again for the replies.

Sark

Back