What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Closeups

MsOz

Power User
We've a Kodak DC280, and I've recently been trying to learn to take "macro" shots, as the garden is so full of beautiful flowers and plants. I find it somewhat of a "hit or miss" proposition, as the display screen is really hard to see in outdoor light.

Recently, we had an overnight snow, which I knew would be gone in a few hours, so I tramped around the yard taking all kinds of photos. When I downloaded the flash card onto my PC, I was thrilled to see this little beauty come up, full of color, and in focus!
Woo Hoo! I might master that camera yet!

Erik

Guru
Well, I've seen many fine works done with digital cameras lately, and this is one of them.

There's only one thing that makes me hesitate: my wide-angle! Digital goes, if we speak in 36mm format, to 28mm wide-angle, and that is a teaser but also a bummer as it is not (in my personal opinion) real wide-angle whichs starts at 24 and is best at some 20. Due to the smaller sensitive surface of the camera, it is technically not possible (unless they find a way) to go wider than some 28, or one should buy a special "extra" to mount in front of the lens.
Also, I don't have an idea how the finder "eyes". Being used to an srl, I am a bit hesitating on that.

But apart from these two issues, I say that the quality of digital camera's is stunning.
Wow.

Good work, Madeline! If I had taken this pic, it might have taken a long time before the film would have been developed, then the slide scanned etc etc.
Now you can share it with us immediately.

neolite

That is a great photo!

Love the colors. Very true to form.

Erik - regarding wide angles: my camera goes from 20mm to 200mm. I wish you'd hurry up and get a digital !!!

Erik

Guru
20? I doubt that. Even with a converting lens no digital camera gets to 20.
You're absolutely shure about this?

also: your camera here costs some 1200 Euro (about $1440)
This is quite an investment, no?
Add to this extra memory (300 Euro for 1GB, offering some 85 raw pics) and an extra battery and err...

neolite

Stats from Canon's site

I said 20mm ;\ meant 28mm (still a newbie with the camera lingo)

The PowerShot Pro1 incorporates Canon's top-of-the-line lens, the L Lens, legendary among professional photographers. Driven by an Ultrasonic Motor, the super-fast 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.4-3.5 lens uses fluorite and UD (Ultra-low dispersion) glass for clear, sharp image delineation with an absolute minimum in chromatic aberration. Also incorporated is an Aspherical lens, precision-manufactured to within 0.1 microns, which corrects spherical aberrations and curvilinear distortion while keeping the zoom lens compact.

Erik

Guru
If I ever buy one, then the Canon is indeed a strong candidate. But Canon does not deliver a converting lens to get more wide-angle (it does for more tele though).

Another candidate is the Olympus c-8080 as tha comes with an optional wide-angle converter which goes to 22,5mm. I'm not really a tele guy, see.
I now take my pics with three lenses: a 24mm f:2.4, a 50mm f:1.8 and a 90mm f:2.4. All three Olympus Zuiko. Body: OM4Ti.
In percentages, I'd say 65% with the 24mm, 5% with the 50mm and 30% with the 90mm. The 90mm goes to 1:2 close up. The only filter I use is a polarizer.

whoops...sorry, Madeline to have hijacked your thread. I will make it up to you, promise

sfm

Guru
MsOz that is a lovely shot and I can understand your delight ;)
I personally try to take as many photo's as I can but my usual target is the fish that like to swim about instead of standing still to pose for me with the added challenges of the "dirty" glass (there is always some algae just where there is the perfect shot!)

my camera is the Olympus E20 and I go through hundreds of batteries a year! I did try the rechargable ones but they are hopless! for those like me here is a good reliable and cheap place on the net that I order mine from http://shop.centre.net.au/index.htm...it=prod&nsid=9ecd572a873185bf5a736d72cf64d5f9

I will post 2 pictures (I have to scale them down for the board here) the first is using the telephoto lens (maroon clown fish) the second is using a macro lens on the coral (christmas tree coral) both images are from our fish tank :D
sfm

lindaw

Power User
Wonderful photo's Sue! You have two great macro shots! In shooting macro you want the object in focus and the background out of focus to highlight the main target and you have mastered this!

Thanks for the link as well!

MsOz

Power User
With photoshop, the background focus can always be adjusted, but the main subject being in focus is definitely the challenge!

Well done, Sue! I LOVE the maroon fish...he looks like he posed for that shot! How do you use a telephoto for such a great close up? How far away were you from Mr. Maroon? The name of the lens would never make me think of using it for anything like you've accomplished, but your result is quite noteworthy. :}

sfm

Guru
Hey thanks guys [excited]
How do you use a telephoto for such a great close up? How far away were you from Mr. Maroon?
Simply put the lens on and open it all the way or zoom right out what ever the term is called [oops] I then sit with tripod on my lounge about 1 to 2 meters away from the subject (depends on how close I want to get - I just make the subject fill the frame) and click away - by doing it this way the fish are more "natural" or are not hiding from me :D

these and more are going into my stock photography which I will be selling I hope by 1st July I am fast running out of time - why? because I keep taking photo's! :rofl:
sfm