What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distressing with grunge brushes (eraser mode)

blackystrat

Hello

I'd like to know how to effectively distress an image while retaining the transparency of the background. For example, I would like to produce some wear and tear on an image and whatever the background color is, it would be visible through the tears. With grunge brushes, the distressed areas are of a solid color.

Have tried using the grunge brushes with the Eraser mode, but unfortunately it doesn't work well.

Please see an example image attached. This is the kind of effect I am trying to achieve on my designs

Kindly advise how do I go about it

Thanks

Attachments

• distressed-flag.png
    distressed-flag.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
NEVER EVER use the Erasure Tool. This is referred to as destructive editing and is permanent.

ALWAYS use a layer mask for this process. This is referred to as non-destructive editing which can be changed easily.

The image your trying to distress would have to be on a transparent background, or................you can leave the background and once you have used your distress brushes, create a new layer below the image and fill with the BG color.

Image with transparent BG
Add a layer mask to the image. Click on the layer mask to select. Select your Brush Tool, set to black. Then start making your distressing brush stamps.
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.20.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.20.31 PM.png

Image with white BG
Distressed image showing transparent BG. Add a layer mask to the image. Click on the layer mask to select. Select your Brush Tool, set to black. Then start making your distressing brush stamps.
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.10.28 PM.png

A white BG layer below the image layer.
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.10.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.10.46 PM.png