What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think this photo fake or real?

marklue

Hi Members,

What do you think about the following photo? Is it photomontage, Is there something strange in the photo? Is there any clue to show it may be montage? For example is it not strange the angle of girl's arm

Untitled.png

Thanks.

PRESTON

Although the photo is small and hard to tell if it is a photo montage

to me it seems so
but I don't guarantee

thebestcpu

Guru
Nothing caught my eye indicating is was a merged image and nothing showed up when I ran some forensic techniques on it.
At first blush it does not appear to be merged or if it is, they did a really good job.
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

SCTRWD

Power User
Real photos can be taken from all the different views, environments and lights configurations. Some of them you just don't see in the image, all you see is the final result.
Hence there could be lots of real photos that could be nevertheless perceived as fake and vice versa.
It's almost impossible to say whether they are real or fake.
I have seen a lot of real photos that look quite unreal, and a lot of fake photos that look natural enough to believe they are real.
"forensic techniques" can give only "may be" answer and have very high false positive and false negative rates to judge reliably.
They can be used for a big bunch of suspicious images from one source, but never for individual images from different sources.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
"forensic techniques" can give only "may be" answer and have very high false positive and false negative rates to judge reliably.
They can be used for a big bunch of suspicious images from one source, but never for individual images from different sources.

I found the following tool to offer some interesting insight. It is adjustable to the point where false positives and negatives can be minimized. The key is probably to look for confluence of multiple indicators telling the same story. There is a learning curve to using these tools, not as simple as plug in an image and get a "fake" or "real" instantly. Fun to play with anyway:

Video explanation:

Betchphoto

Nothing caught my eyes neither looking at this photo. I wouldn't be able to say it's a montage. If it is well...they did a really good job :)