What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you Use the single row Marquee tool. What for?

Lynny

Does anyone use the single row or column marquee? if so, what for? I've been playing with it on and off the past couple of days, and really can't find a use for it. I get it to make single line selections, and then for no reason I can see it'll stop working, and the selections stop showing, but if you do stroke all the places I've tryed to use it, where it didn't seem to work, get a stroke.....

Anyway I'm confusing myself here, do you use it, and if so what for, or do you know of a tutorial that just shows all sorts of things you can do with these tools.

Lynny

bigcloud

I use it occasionally when doing interface design. Comes in very handy for precise work. Also, I've found myself using it from a tutorial right here on Mark's site- http://photoshopgurus.info/intermediate/glass-buttons/real_glass_buttons.shtml (look under STEP 1 - Creating a Pinstripe Background). As for the reason you might not be seeing it... since it is only 1 pixel (high or wide) of a selection, if you're working on a high res image or you're zoomed out quite a bit, you may not see a 1 pixel selection. Not sure... just a guess.

MindBender

Guru
The one pixel marquee is great for taking out processing scratches in photo restoration. Let's say you have a photo that came out of processing and there was something on the rollers and there is now a gouge in the photo showing up as a bright line. These are usually perfectly straight since they were mechanically produced in the first place. Take the 1 pixel and make a copy next to the line, then paste it to a new layer and move it 1 pixel into the line. Do this a couple times and the line should be gone. Works for other straight objects too, but the object has to be perfectly straight for it to work.

I also would use it for creating interface patterns and such as BigCloud points out. (although for scanlines or pin-stripes, I would probably just make a pattern).

More than anything, I think it had a couple uses (more back in the day before layers and such) and it's still there for completness. It does have a couple uses, but no, to answer your question (sorta) you aren't missing out on anything major, it's just there. :)

Welles

Guru
If you ever happen to purchase Human Software's Classic Frame plug-ins, you'll find that the rendered frames almost always leave a one pixel fringe of white or partial pixel row of white which is most easily adjusted with the single pixel row marquee and clone tool. Pretty obscure but very handy.

Lynny

Ok thank you very much for the reply's, I just played with stretching pixels, and can see the use for scanlines,

I was hopeing it had some other fun use.

Oh well.....

C9Mouse

Power User
I use the single row and column marquees in a lot of my work, including tutorials. They are quite useful for making things like web page backgrounds, like this one for instance:

http://www.dcloud.com/tutorials/grid.htm

There are of course many more uses. Just check any search engine, like Google.