What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog tag

J

Josh

I don't think that this web site is intended for questions like how to make a dog tag, a pencil, a window, a car, a tree, etc.

I call that being lazy, sorry :\

There is Google Images (I had hundreds of hits when I typed in dog tag!) and there are things called eyes, brains and hands.

Why don't you use them first before you start asking how to start.
I'm pretty sure that lots of people think like me (they just keep it to themselves). Just start with your dog tag and come back when you're stuck; it's the only way to learn Photoshop and graphics in general and not by reading an instruction book that describes how to make any human made object on this planet or to ask others how to do it for you...

ToXin

think rectangle. think rounding the corners of the rectangle. think making it metal. think putting a hole in it. think stamping text in it. think methods: selections, masks, embossing, displace(to make it appear 3D-ish at an angle)

vogonpoet

erik: a dog tag is the little metal plate soldiers or ppl in the military wear as a form of identification, usually hung around the neck on a metal chain...

Erik

Guru
ahaa...that's the origin from that movie "dog soldiers"!

thanks

vogonpoet

well I had a go. Like the guys said though, you need to break down any object into its base elements, and then try and build it up from the ground up... when you do it this way its kind of easy to do with practice. This is how I did mine, but it is not the only way, have a go and show us what you come up with!

1. Base shape (rounded rectangle tool)
2. New layer, fill the shape with a light/dark gray gradient
3. Add a smidge of noise
4. Circular selection to make a small hole (select-delete)
5. Add text, and then emboss your text (use layer styles or do it manually)
6. Rotate using transform , and maybe add some perspective.
7. Use the pen tool to make the curve for the chain.
8. Stroke the path with a hard brush, but adjust the spacing using the brush preview window until it looks chain-like. Then apply a stroke.
9. Add depth to the chain to make it look chain-like (I used the traditional method of manipulating selections to add high/low lights)
10. add some liberal drop shadows.

Thats about it, should give you enough to make a start. Lets see how you do and ask questions if you get stuck.

Find some reference images on google image search as was suggested. It really helps when working to have something to reference too and study.

hope it helps

DominatorX

Thx :D!!! I followed your steps, but I made some changes. Mine looks like the newer dog tags. And i didn't mean to be lazy I just needed to do this for school and I needed to find out quickly. Thx again :D :}

Ferlin

I still don't see how you got you chain so dimensional - so round with light and darks.To me that's very impressive Vogenpoet. :perfect:

vogonpoet

Thanks Ferlin!

Actually its fairly easy.

One step I missed out in my previous directions was the use of the curves command to exaggerate the high/lows of the chain.

Ferlin - VP can do anything in Photoshop and probably all the other graphics program too. I've been a fan of his for years. :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: Some of his work, from years ago, is still stuck in my head. ;\ I'm in no hurry to forget it.

Joyful

vogonpoet

Joy Foraker said:
Ferlin - VP can do anything in Photoshop and probably all the other graphics program too. I've been a fan of his for years. :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: Some of his work, from years ago, is still stuck in my head. ;\ I'm in no hurry to forget it.

Joyful

[saywhat] ;\ ;\ ;\

Joy!!! you embarrass me! ;) Thank you so much for the kind words.

neolite

dog tag chain

I agree with the gang. That is one impressive chain.

I get such a kick out of how the "veteran" members can look at an object and say "Oh just adjust the curves...etc." I still freak out if I have to create a channel.

When I delve into the tools like Pen Tool, Adjustments (Hue/Sat., Curves..etc) I always think "Don't panic, you can always UNDO" because I know it's going to take me a few tries to get it even close to what I wanted.

Though I don't have the experience in Photoshop to offer technical assistance...yet...I will say that this forum is the best place to ask questions, get feedback...etc. I find that I come here a few times each day just to read up on things. I've never done that in any forum for any type of tool before.

vogonpoet

Hi and welcome to the PSG Forums Neolite!!! :perfect:

Photoshop can be very daunting when first beginning. But from my experience, the more you experiment with the tools, the more confidence you will gain.

It was the main appeal of the program to me when I first started using it! Things like 'layers' excited me! lol...

With the advent of the history options, it is so easy to step backwards, so never feel hesitant to try new things and ask questions.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums! ;)