What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dots & textures

G

The basic procedure is this.

1. New file (I used 640 x 480)
2. Fill background layer with black
3. Create new layer
4. Fill with medium grey
5. Filter / pixelate / color halftone / radius 15 and other values all the same; I used 108
6. Select magic wand (contiguous NOT selected) and click on one of the black dots and press delete

When you use a different grey for your fill in step 4 you will get different results. Instead of using a regular fill you can also use a clouds or gradient fill so that the sizes of the dots will vary.
The first example was done with a dark grey, the one underneath with a light grey. Lighter tones will make the dots smaller. You can also experiment with a different angle or radius. Also try to experiment without doing step 6 and adding brushstrokes. That?s how the green texture was created.

You can use a dotted layer to create textures that have repetitive textures. Treat the dots as if they are just particles. Try to change their shape and suddenly you will have a totally different pattern.

Have fun!

Rick Miller

Gaussian:
The pink one rocks!
:perfect:

G-man's dots

Ok I had to try this one. Even tho its almost l:30AM its too good to let pass to another day.
Top is first dot tech ( never even realized that filter was there) thx gauss
Bottom is the same twirled, squashed, mashed, baked and broiled. hee hee

G

Here's another one I did. Like I said, treat the dots as particles. In this case I managed to let the dots melt together under a 45 degrees angle. The rest is a result of adding filters.

sfm

Guru
neat Gaussian :perfect:

hey Stu I won't have time today for the challenge but on the weekend I will so hang on wait for me I wanna try this one! [:I
sfm

Tron

Guru
Here is one more, I don't think I'll ever get all those coloured strings untangled ha ha

G

Well done Rick, but I'm getting a little dizzy now...[stuned] wooow

Are you trying to hypnotize me?! B7

Whoa--
Rick-- you can really put a spin on things. You second one reminds me of Echler. Both Very good. Looks like you had fun making them too.
J

TaK

This filter used to make the dots is usually used to simulate the effect
of a comic print look, but we?ve found a very diferent use...
This can show that this software can be used to draw anything you
can think of it is very very powerfull.
I?m addicted to it!!![slick]
is that bad?:rofl:

Here?s my attempt anyway

Erik

Guru
Hey TAK,
you're back
and at full force!!!

nice work!

(there are worse addictions...)

TaK

I'm at my fathers house...
I wont post in the next days because i am currently without a phone line
at my mothers house that is where i live and where i have many pictures
created this hole time i was out of the forum...
As i'm going to my house in the next hours i'll try to post at an internet cafe that is close to my home, but im not sure if I'll be able to send pics ....
:(