What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dotted or Dashed Letters, PLEASE HELP!

briteway

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to Photoshop. I have the CS5 and need help in getting the letter fonts to appear as dotted or dashed. I can only get the outline dotted but not the centre of the letters as one single line of dots or dashes.

I need this to use for teaching how to write letters and numbers but can't figure it out in Photoshop. The Illustrator can do it with path stroke or Photoshop could also do it if the path is imported from the Illustrator. But I don't have the Illustrator.

Can someone give me advice if this is possible to do through Photoshop only? I thought it was a simple feature.

Any help or advice us greatly appreciated.

Hi briteway

Welcome to PSG, If can post an example or link to an image whit the effect you need, that will help us a lot, on figuring it out how to achieve such fx.

IDK the answer and it would help if you post an eg like Sir M suggested. I do know that you can create a pattern and save it in layer effects>pattern overlay and apply the pattern, or use one of the available ones maybe.

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt replies guys.

I hope this upload works, never tried it from tapatalk. I'm not near a computer.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1315368972052.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315368972052.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 31
  • uploadfromtaptalk1315368988569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1315368988569.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 31
I'd prefer dots, but would like to know how dashes would be applied while we're at it.

It's just a set of faded or greyed dots that would act as a guide for learning writing.

You ca achieve that by using path in conjunction whit the brush tool.

Basically draw a path whit the pen tool following the letter shapes, then right click on path and select stroke path>Brush.

You need to make sure that your brush setting are set it up to draw doted lines. Other ways it won't work

Same technique will work for dashed lines, just need to change brush properties.

This may help
Photoshop dotted lines

Yes, I'm aware of that option but the line would be as straight as my movement with the mouse is. I'd like to know if it's possible to get it perfect, straight off the font letters.

Is there any other way that this could be manipulated?

Thanks.

In order to draw straight lines, When using the pen tool, hold the SHIFT key or OPTION key "MAC" and draw the path, you will get perfect straight lines every time, and then just stroke your path, using a small hard brush.

It won't be that difficult.

Thanks for that, I didn't know. Looks like there's no other way on Photoshop. Now I'll have to get the round shapes right or close enough. I think it'll consume a bit of time but WTH, can't afford the Illustrator.

The best way is to find a font with the dots already in it. Do a search on a font called "Atomic Clock Radio" or "Basicdots". These are free to download on some of the font sites.

If you decide to do it yourself, no matter which way you do it, it's going to be a lot of tedious work. Best way I've found:

Open an image with the letters/numbers you want duplicated. Make them REALLY big, grab your pen tool and trace them, making a working path. On a new layer, get your brush pallet and change the spacing of a small hard brush until the dots are the right distance apart. On your working path, right click and "stroke path", making sure you UNclick "simulate pen pressure".

Good luck.

If you decide to do it yourself, no matter which way you do it, it's going to be a lot of tedious work.

Yep, you're dead right.

Make them REALLY big

Oh yes, that makes sense, it would be much easier to trace them when they're really big and when made small(er) again, probably wouldn't tell the difference.

Thanks for the tip and I'll see if it works out for me.

Back