What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dragging window on photoshop reverts to original position

mikempE

I drop multiple photos into photoshop then drag one at a time away from the tab bar in order to place these photos onto one layered image. I can do this but the photo I have dragged down remains positioned where i dragged it to and cant be freely moved to another part of the screen. It springs back like its on a rubber band. This is a problem when I wish to close the floating window and don't have the top right close button visible. I have to return it to the tab top bar in order to open it then close the window. I previous versions of PS this was not a problem and now requires all these extra steps to solve. Its very frustrating when I have to work like this all day. I have PS CS6 on MS WIN7.
Is there a preference selection I can make. I want to make photoshop windows behave like MS windows and remain where I drag them to.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Not sure if this is the source of your problem...

When you have an image in the tab bar position, there is a certain limit to where you can move other floating images. If you drag it far enough, it will snap back into the original position or somewhere in the field.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I am not exactly sure what you're describing, but I think it's a matter of opening as tabs. Just go to preferences>interface and uncheck "open documents as tabs." It's the springing back that I am not sure I understand. You don't need to use the tab bar at all of course and all your windows can float or you can organixe them by tabbing them together individually into groups.

If this doesn't answer your question, stick around, someone else will surely be able to help.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Mike,

I think your using the Move Tool and trying to drag the image itself off the canvas and it's snapping back. This only works if your dragging the image to another canvas.

When you drag an image from the tab bar, it's window shrinks to the canvas size. You have to move the entire window. Place your cursor on the gray area as shown here, then click, hold and drag.

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 12.08.12 AM.jpg

Otherwise, you must expand the window by dragging a corner. Then you can drag the image to a new position within the widow.

Last edited:

mikempE

ibclare I read about the "open documents as tabs (untick)" and tried that ,restarted but still no change. You know how when you drag a MS window when its "restore down": not maximized you can move it anywhere drop it and then replace it somewhere else. Well I cant do that in PS anymore. I would like to as it comes down from the tab any just about always has the inaccessible close button just off screen. Because it snaps back when I try to move it I can never get to the close tab so I have to return the window back to the tabs bar to close it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you grab the gray area it snaps back?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please show a screenshot of your problem.

mikempE

Sam: I have just tried your suggestion but using any tool ie move, select, brush and the window still snaps back to the first location that I dragged to .

mikempE

Yes I can only drag it from tabs area by putting the cursor in the grey top of the window.
In tabs.JPGIn tabs area before dragging

dragged from tabs.JPG dragged away if i try to drag it again it will snap back.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Still looking an trying different things, hold on. This is an interesting problem. Have you tried resetting your preferences?

mikempE

This was not a problem in older photoshop versions, its just CS6 that's annoying me.
Sorry I don't have a video or I would upload the snap back as video.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike there is a screencast in the second link that shows the problem. Is this what yours is doing?

mikempE

Sam I read these links and view the video and its exactly my problem.
I will now read through and see if there is any solution

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good luck! Sorry I wasn't better help!

mikempE

Ok after reading it seems the problem is because I economically use the taskbar on the left hand side (as conserving screen height is more sensible than width on my wide screen). So I set my Left side task bar to auto hide (something I will have to get used to), and problem solved. Thanks Sam your links did help.