What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drawing a line 1-pixel wide the entire way through.

Johnny Cage

I've been able to get by so far without a real solution to this, but if anyone could help me figure out what I can do it'll eliminate an entire clean-up process and save a lot of time.In MS-Paint, when I would draw a 1-pixel line I would get this result:r5Jby.pngHowever, when I attempt something similar in Photoshop, I get this:vjMl9.pngHopefully neither of these images are being resized/smoothed so what I'm trying to demonstrate is clear, but if it isn't, the line in MS-Paint is a simple 1-pixel line the entire way through. Trying to achieve this in Photoshop results in extra pixels being added along the line (not anti-aliasing alpha pixels, just extra black pixels) in order to "smoothen" it out, so it is no longer a true 1-pixel line. As of right now I'm having to create the entire object using these messier lines and go back over them manually with a 1x1 eraser tool to fix them up. Is there an option/plugin I can use/make to get good old-fashioned 1-pixel MS-Paint lines?Thanks a ton in advance.

It's the way PS displays pixels. Don't zoom in. View normally.

It may look bigger than it actually is but I believe it will print a straight 1 pixel line.

Thanks for the quick reply dv8_fx.

I don't believe that at a 100% view Photoshop really does anything to display the image differently. For the particular art I'm doing (pixel art) I pretty much have to work with the images while zoomed in, so when I'm editing the image and I get close enough to see Photoshop's grid and see this:
8suwh.png

I really can't assume anything other than the fact that Photoshop is actually adding pixels to the image. Both images I posted originally are at the same zoom level. If I were to go through the clean-up process in Photoshop on the second image, it would look just like the first image; I'd just like to skip said clean-up process.

Thanks again.

Not sure how I can help you with this.

If you were to draw the line at a perfect 45degree angle using the pencil tool set at 1 pixel, you'll get the 1 pixel line you need. Anything off that will give you the extra pixels. Worse even if it were a cureved line or using the brush set at 1 pixel.

Let's see what others may say. They may have an idea for you.

You sure you use the pencil tool? I just tested and i got clean 1px lines. Im trying to figure out what i could be, but it sounds really strange. :S

I'm using the Line Tool (one of the shapes under Hotkey U) and not the pencil tool. I did give the pencil tool a whirl though. If I shift-click point to point, it actually does give me the lines that I want. The only real drawback to the pencil tool is that I can't click and hold to see what the line will look like before I release it. This may sound like no big deal, but when I'm drawing things with the line tool I click, draw the line to where I feel it looks best, and release, man times and very quickly so it'll take some getting used to. If it outweighs the need to have an entire clean-up process however (and if it's my only real alternative), I suppose it's a no-brainer.

Thanks guys!

I've had the same issue - the thing looks horrible up close with the line tool when you draw it but it will come together nicely when you click out of it to another layer.

You need to turn of anti alias select the line tool and choose the options highlighted
when drawing your line hold down the shift key
Capture.PNG

blue highlights standard line tool red shows shows if you have the line tool set up like I did in above picture
Capture.PNG

The only problem is it is a rasterised layer you have to work on you get a warning box come up before.

However I must point out the feather in the pixels will not show up in print it is just the way photoshop displays it.

Back