What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dynamic Text Clipping Mask?

Ekmeh

I'm working on a template and I want to use text as a clipping mask for a rectangle.
Something like this: MrJScyd.png

However, since it's a template I want to be able to simply change the text and it will remain a clippnig mask like this.
Right now I'm using layer mask or I simply select the text and delete it while selecting the rectangle. But I want it so that all I have to do is change the text :)

I hope this is possible and someone can help with this,

Thanks in advance!

For those English users......
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.44.49 AM.png

The problem with knockout is that it tends to affect all underlying layers.....UNLESS it's in a group! This may be your best option.
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.51.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.51.19 AM.png

If you only want to affect the rectangle layer you will need to use a "layer mask". A clipping mask will not work.
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.54.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.54.42 AM.png

I understand what you're asking about................give me some time to work on it.

Hi @Ekmeh
I believe the approach I describe below will work and it is not with a clipping mask nor with a regular mask. The Text Layer is a Layer on its own as well so you can change it at will.
This is a 3 Layer solution
The lowest Layer is rectangle you want around the Text with the desired color and outside of that is solid pure black as shown:

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.07.20 PM.png

The next Layer up is the Text Layer and the color needs to be solid black as shown here on its own. The text is positioned in the middle of the colored rectangle.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.07.37 PM.png

These two Layers are pulled into a group and the only thing you need to do with the group is Apply a Layer Style with the Upper Blend If slider moved slight to the right to make the black become transparenet yet not so far to make the color rectangle to become transparent. This three Layer stack I believe gives you the effect desired.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.11.56 PM.png

Why don't you give this a try and see if it works for you.
John Wheeler

Back