What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagles Farewell 1 Tour

Doc

I just purchased this 2 dvd set of the Eagle's "Farewell 1 Tour" concert held in Australia in 2004. If you're an Eagles fan, I highly recommend it as there are 30 songs spanning their entire career on these dvd's.

To whett your appetite, here's one song from the tour. You can either click on the image of the dvd cover to start streaming, or right click and select 'save target as' to download. This song is 7:49 minutes long and a bit over 16mb in size. I wanted to keep the audio quality up as much as possible. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Doc, that's really good of you host that. Their tunes are just so well crafted, that you never tire of them. :}

Thanks Doc! It's fun to see how tight a performance can get with 30 years of practice! ;)

Did you ever wonder?

Question: What does the word 'colitas' mean in the song, "Hotel California"?

"On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, warm smell of colitas rising up through the air."

Here's one possible answer:

"There was this fireworks factory just three blocks from the Hotel California . . . and it blew up! Big tragedy. One of the workers was named Wurn Snell and he was from the town of Colitas in Greece. One of the workers who escaped the explosion talked to another guy . . . I think it was probably Don Henley . . . and Don asked what the guy saw. The worker said, "Wurn Snell of Colitas . . . rising up through the air." [confused]

Colitas...not to be confused with Colitis, an intestinal disease. Kinda like the lyric from that Beatles song: "the girl with colitis goes by" ... or is that "kaleidoscope eyes"? ;)

I remember hearing that Wurn Schnell of Colitas story back in the late '70's, so it either has legs or is a damn good urban legend. [slick]

:rofl: Well, that clears the air! Hotel California is a fav of mine.

The Eagles -- been a fan of theirs a looooooong time. :perfect:

Hotel California is also a fav of mine.
Colita, as I was told by a Mexican guy long ago, is a kind of food.

Bizarre thing is that no Spanish dictionary seems to "know" it (it means "bum") yet it is used and can be found in recepies where it means "the fleshy part of-":

"COLITAS DE RAPE AL HORNO
SOBRE CANAPE DE HORTALIZAS"

Some people referenced to coca leaves, but these are chewed, not burned and inhalated like Marie Huana.
Then there's this Native American chief called Colita. Not as famous as chief Joseph from the NezPerce or Shaman Sitting Bull or Geronimo (to name some) but still...a town has been called after him.

ahhh...some dance to remember, some dance to forget...

thanks for the download. Guess I want this CD.

Erik said:
Then there's this Native American chief called Colita. Not as famous as chief Joseph from the NezPerce or Shaman Sitting Bull or Geronimo (to name some) but still...a town has been called after him.

ahhh...some dance to remember, some dance to forget...

From living the first 28 years of my life in California I can say the song has many meanings, to me at least.... ;)

But your mention of "dancing to remember," and some things regarding Native American history brought to mind, in connection also to "eagles," some information I learned of regarding the South-West Indians "Ghost Dance." This information may be a surprise to some...

The crow, yes, the crow, became the center of that ecstatic ritual in the 1890's. The Indians traditional ways of life were on the point of disappearance. The buffalo herds on which they depended were vanishing.... During this, around 1890, during an eclipse of the sun, a Paiute Indian named Wovoka had a vision in which he claimed to have seen God. He returned to tell his people that they must love one another, live peacefully with the white people, and God would restore their lands, the game would return, and their ancestors would rise from the dead. The Indians would live in a rejuvenated world free from old age, disease and death. To hasten this change the Indians performed a dance (Ghost Dance/Crow Dance) for five days and nights with only brief periods of rest, during which several had visions in which they saw their forebears. This new ritual, the Ghost dance, brought renewed hope, but it culminated in great tragedy. There were soon many versions and interpretations of the Ghost Dance (Crow Dance) among different tribes. Some took the originally pacifistic doctrins of Wovoka as a counsel of war. The result was an escalation of tensions that culminated in the massacre at Wounded Knee in December 1890.

The eagle had been the central bird in most mythologies of Native Americans throughout the US, but in times of crisis they thought more of the crow. A stuffed crow was often placed in the center of a circle, in which the dancers moved, and the crow was also depicted on their shirts, leggings and moccasins. The dancers interpreted the cries of the crow as prophetic utterances.

The crow in the Ghost Dance religion was roughly the equivalent of the dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit. The leaders of the Ghost Dance sometimes wore the feather of an eagle, but more often they wore what was known as the "wakuna." This consisted of two feathers of a crow, tied together, but slightly apart from one another, which a dancer placed in his or her hair. These feathers represented the angelic wings, with which the dancer would ascend to heaven.

One song sung during the Ghost Dance among the Arapaho went:

My children, my children.
The wind makes the head-feathers sing -
The wind makes the head-feathers sing.
My children, my children.

Our father, the Whirlwind,
Our father the Whirlwind,
Now wears the headdress of crow feathers.
Now wears the headdress of crow feathers.

The earth - the crow,
The earth - the crow.
The crow brought it with him,
The crow brought it with him.

The crow is circling above me,
The crow is circling above me.
The crow having come for me,
The crow having come for me.

The dancer who composed that song saw a crow circling above his head, and he believed it was an emissary to conduct him to his departed relatives.

And so that verse in the song Hotel California brought this also to mind....

"...some dance to remember, some dance to forget."
8[ ;)

Wow. Great info!

Makes me think of Buffy Sainte-Marie's EagleMan-Changing woman:

Eagle Man
climbing the skies
Red light of evening
falls like rain
Rainbow's my yarn
The sky is my loom
I will weave sunsets
later on

Snow Woman
Climbing the wind
Blue light of winter
fills her baskets
Oh woh-h Changing Woman
Dance on the weather
Lightning and feathers
mark her trail

Life Lovers
splinting the worlds
Healing the broken
and the lame
Reach out to me
Give me your hands
We close the circuits of time

Angel Ranger
Stay here by me
Guide my transmission
of energy
Oldest religion
simple and clear
Pour out a lesson
into my dream

Eagle Man
climbing the skies
Red light of evening
falls like rain
Rainbows my yarn
The sky is my loom
I will weave sunsets
later on.

Inspired by Apache and Navajo poetry.

And this takes me to, once again: Dead Man. One of my cult-movies...

Though there are those musicians who have spiritual roots and express that in their music, the Eagles may be a bit more mundane in their vocal interpretive roots.

Glenn Frey comments the songs of the album Hotel California...

"What happened with Hotel California was Don Felder, the under rated genius guitar player in our band and he did not have the name of Joe Walsh, but definitely just an incredible player.

He used to make instrumental demos at his house and on a tape of about seven ideas, was what was to become the track of Hotel California. And Don and I heard the tape and said gosh... this is like a Spanish Reggae Rock, this is really a bizarre mix of musical influences, this is great.

At the time we were also quite fond of Steely Dan and listening to a lot of their records. And one of the things that impressed us about Steely Dan was that they would say anything in their songs and it did not have to necessarily make sense you know, they would just, sort of...they called it jokes sculpture..

And well we thought of this Hotel California, we started thinking of there would be very cinematic to do it, sort of like the Twilight Zone. You just have a ..., one line says there is a guy on the highway, you know the next line says there is a hotel in the distance, then there is a woman in there and she walks in. You know it is sort..., it is just all one shot, not necessarily you know, just sort of strong together and you sort of draw your own conclusions from it.

So we are sort of trying to expand our lyrical horizons and just try to take out something in the bizarre as Steely Dan did that."

8D

Wow! Erik, that's beautiful!!! Thanks for posting the song, Erik, I don't think I've ever heard that one, it does have the feel of Native American poetry. B7 The movie "Dead Man" is another one I don't think I've seen...what's that about?

Welles, great info also! Although, they may have had no intentions of their song having any other meanings other than just interesting word play...still, it's funny as it brings to mind for me so many other things. And when Erik mentioned the Native American chiefs and the powers of dance...well I just got into remembering all that about the Ghost Dance. Hotel California just triggers odd ideas for me I guess. 8D Hey, but I just love it's atmosphere and the music! It has a mysterious atmosphere and reminds me a bit of the movie, The Nineth Gate also (one of my favorites).

The music of Steeley Dan I find interesting too, I have Aja. I love Led Zep...then there's Pink Floyd's, The Wall.......that's just loaded. 8D 8D But I've got really odd tastes in music and listen to a lot of classical also as well as some West Coast Jazz, I've got all sorts of world music and Native American and New Age stuff all tossed in there. You're as likely to hear some of Micky Hart's drum works, African tribal music, Peruvian mountain pieces, etc., as say Scream In Blue from Midnight Oil playing here.... :rofl: 8D

But I love all things Native American, so I tend to tie back into that a lot.

Twilight Zone...this takes me to Golden earring, a Dutch band who had a hit called TZ.
From the lyrics:

Help, I'm stepping into the Twilight Zone
The place is a mad-house, feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved under moon and star
Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?

I love that last line...

8D Ah yes! I've heard that one many times -- and I'm living it! :rofl:

Shine on you crazy diamonds

Thanks for the link Doc, just reminded me how much I like the Eagles.
This whole thread has been a great read for me too, Steely Dan, oh yes love them too.
The Crow story and the Native American history was facinating thank you so much Raven.
I also recently enjoyed watching Pink Floyd on Live8 anyone see that?
Pleasantly numb indeed :)
Control of the horizontal and vertical now returned to you.

Back