What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enlarge Photo as Smart Object - Rasterize/Upsample?!?

jethro

Hi, we are creating a couple very large banners (76" x 108"). We are comping a couple images for the background, but neither is close to large enough (we prefer to shoot for 150ppi, as they will be seen up close at arms length).

So I've brought in my original images (one only 1080px tall - yikes) as Smart Objects and just free transformed them to be the proper final size. We'll save the final comp'd image as a high quality JPEG so it is workable in the design document (as original file will be large-format .psb).

QUESTIONS:
  • Will Photoshop upsample these Smart Objects to match the resolution of the document? If so, what algorithm does it use by default (we're using CS6)??
  • Would I get better quality if I upsampled the Smart Object itself (the .psb file) to be proper final resolution?
  • Or do I just need to rasterize the Smart Object once it's at final size (again, wondering what algorithm would be used in conversion)?

Been searching around, and have seen a lot of discussions or pros of using Smart Objects for scaling images down/up, but not about using for major enlargements and what, if any, resampling is done when in a larger document.

We also have a copy of 'PhotoZoom Pro 5' that we sometimes use for enlarging images, but this produced some pretty bad artifacts with these particular images when going as large as we need to go. When I did a test in PS, just resampling, it didn't produce the artifacts, but was just a bit softer.

Thanks for any help here!

Back