What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Er, Uh, Not Sure If Serious

Crotale

Power User
Just kidding. I am working on getting back my art mojo, but it has been a struggle this summer. This is my newest project, a 1080p wallpaper dubbed "Bypass." It is a huge comet passing close to a gas giant and its moon. Bypass is all completely fabricated in Photoshop by me, no stock images or custom brushes used. Please enjoy the full view. Edit:/ Pic removed.

Last edited:
I love the overall image and don't suggest you change a thing! However, I have a preconceived concept of what a Comet would look like. Had you not mentioned in your post this was a Comet, I would have never guessed it! I really like the idea of the view through the Comets tail though.........it's just not there for me! Keep it up!

Pls. take the following as just one opinion from a crazy old nerd:

If one is working at the junction of art and science, say, generating imagery for a game, or generating stills for Ken Burns pan-and-zooms during a Discovery Channel documentary on space, one's work should reflect the best current knowledge about a subject.

For example, as far as we know (ie, by optical or radar imaging), not one single comet appears the way you depicted yours - ie, almost perfectly spherical with a broken crust. In addition, the debris that comes off it would not be that uniform. Another problem is that your moon appears to be well inside of the Roche limit - in other words, if a moon ever got that close to its parent planet, it would almost immediately break up, etc. etc.

IMHO, to anyone who knows something about this subject, whether a sci-fi fan, a gamer or a scientist, this looks more like a 1950's Sci-Fi magazine cover art than something generated in 2013. It looks good -- very good -- but dated.

Now, if that's the look you were trying to achieve, great. But, if it wasn't, and you want to compete with other artists producing material in the same genre, I don't think it would do well.

Anyway, I know that sometimes things are just done for fun, but, you are so close to commercial level work, if you want to take it all the way, you have a good shot at it - just learn everything you can about the subject and then incorporate that into your art.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Cheers,

Tom M

Thanks for the spanking, Tom.

Most spacescapes are flights of fantasy, and this one is no different. Yes, this was for fun and for getting back into the swing of all things creative. Is my comet accurate? Not by any means. Is the planet's moon way too close for comfort? Possibly, but perhaps in the scheme of 1920x1080 pixels, I only have so much room to maneuver.

Last edited:

Back