What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error Message

slandry

Banned
I'm getting an error message 'could not write the file because the file is being used by someone else'

The only problem is that they are new files that I have created with unique file names.

If I continue to try to save the file it eventually it will save (usually after 5-10 trys using the same file name).

The only complicating factor is that I'm saving directly to an in-house web server.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

vogonpoet

sounds like a file ownership issue.

Normally, if a file resides on a server, it is checked out when opened by a user. If another user then opens the file, they usually should get a mesage saying something like that they can open this file for viewing only. Saving will not be possible.

Chances are that if someone opened the file before you did, you were locked out of it from saving. What happened probably, is that during the 10 or so tries you made, the other person closed the file, thus allowing you to finally save.

Main problem here is that you probably over wrote any changes the last user made.

I would check this situation out with your system (server) Administrator.

slandry

Banned
Thanks for your help on this.

The problem I'm having isn't overwriting somone else's file although the error message would imply that.

I'm creating new web graphics and I am the only user with access to the web server.

Any thoughts?

BTW: I'm running PS 6.0.1

Thanks

vogonpoet

hmmm

have you got the same file open multiple times in different applications?

What OS (operating system) is it? If you have a file open in mulitple apps, then I think you will get this error message until the current session either becomes disassociated with the 'parent file' so to speak.

Hopefully someone else can chip in as I would be interested in a more definitive answer :)

next?

theKeeper

Guru
I'd most likely assume the same things as Vp has already slandry.

Usually, the only thing that can stop a file from being overwritten is if the file has been accessed by another program, or if it's somehow lingering in memory somewhere.

And if you're saving to a "local" Web server, then it may be an issue of "permissions" not being setup correctly for you, as a user within the OS, or the server program.

I'd look in these directions first.

Let us know what's happening with you on this too slandry. We'd like to help more if need be, and we can.

slandry

Banned
I appreciate the help on this.

Here are the specifics:

I'm working on a WinNT box

Running PS 6.0.1

Saving files to a "staging server" (Unix server running Solaris)

Samba is installed on the server to allow me to map the web server as a drive. (this is what I originally suspected was the problem but I'm having no issue saving html, jsp, swf or txt files)

I am the only user with permissions to save to the web server (well except the network admin who I doubt is saving image files to the server)

Here is the process:

File> Save for Web> Dialog box opens with field for file name>

I type a file name (could be anything) somefile.gif

<enter>

<error> "Could not write the file because the file is being used by someone else"

(keep in mind that this is a new file with a unique file name. I am not trying to overwrite an existing file)

I try again...

File> Save for Web > etc.

After doing this for anywhere between 1 and ten times using the same file name finally the file will save.

Really frustrating.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks.

theKeeper

Guru
hmmm...

Ok well... this sounds still like a "permissions" problem to me. I think that somewhere down the line, your user/login name is being confused by the server/OS.

Other than that area, i can't see any other type of problem areas to explore with this. Nothing else you're doing, with PS, seems wrong or out-of-place.

I'd perhaps suggest you have a talk with the Admin and get him/her to check on your user/login name setup & permissions.

QUESTION: is it not possible for you to save these files locally on another HD, and then simply move them over when they're completed?

Anyone else?!...

slandry

Banned
Thanks for the input.

To answer your question. Yes it is possoble to save these files locally and I don't seem to have a problem when I do. For me it is a production headache. I create somewhere around 100+ images per day and I am required to "stage" each of the images for internal review. Saving them locally and moving them each time from local to stage and then to live becomes a major league headache.

I've bugged the network admin on many occasions and he insists there is nothing wrong with the permissions.

I've also bugged the folks over at Adobe and seached their database for similar issues to no avail.

Thanks for your continued help.

theKeeper

Guru
Ok well there it is then bud... that's WHY i asked you about "saving the files locally"... the fact that you CAN indeed do this AND transfer them over, points straight to the network drive you're having the problem saving to. Whether it's now a question of OS or server permissions is something only the Admin can get an answer for, by checking those areas out.

You'll have to keep proding him/her to check further into that. It could also be a case that the server software is having the problem; i can't second guess that for sure though. Only the person who installed or is administrating it can.