What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiencing issues using Export as function

Angus W

Hi All
This is my first post in this forum and I hope I am following the expected etiquette.
So I am currently processing images ready to be upload to a new ecommerce site. I have chosen to use the 'Export As Function' as this does most of what I need to do. I am choosing three sizes 1x, 0.5x and 0.1x
This gives me a large, med and Sm image (for thumbnails). I am changing the max size of the image to 800 pixels and reducing the quality of the JPEG to 80%. When the image isn't square then the largest dimension is 800 pixels and the smaller sides are reduced down proportionally. So when i have applied these changes I hit the Export button. On viewing the files once completed in the destination folder, I see that the first two images(1x & 0.5x) are correct and the proportions are as expected, however when looking at the image that has been reduced to 0.1x the proportions are all wrong. In most cases if the original image was rectangular it make this image almost square and therefore out of proportion. Any ideas why this is happening? The original image size is 802x426 and. I would expect the 0.1x image to be 80x43(a tenth of the size), but instead this changes to 71x72. Please can someone offer advice on why this is the case. I am thinking is it possible that there is a lower limit so it can never be a as small as 43 pixels? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Angus

LF653150LRG.jpg

LF653150SM.jpg

While I am not offering a solution, I am posting the results of my experiment while retracing your steps so you can arrive at a better understanding of what/why of things. I opened your file and used the following Export As settings:
1.png
This resulted in a 81 X 40 pixel thumbnail, as below:
LF653150LRG@0,1x.jpg
If you do figure out what is changing your Export As file size, do share with us.

Thanks Polarwoc
Your retracing seems to result in exactly what I was hoping for, but it just doesn't resize to your result shown below. I'm confused.

This is how my Export Preferences settings look like - just in case it is drastically different from yours.
1.png

They match mine own settings here. Are there any other settings or preferences that could be causing this? Wondering if there is a reset for all settings just incase I have press something along the way?

Do you have the most recent update to PS CC. Could be a bug that has been fixed. Export As has has a number of bugs in the past.
John Wheeler

Back