What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

experimenting in using Topaz filters to de-screen images.

nurgle

i have been experimenting in using Topaz new photoshop filters to de-screen old scanned postcards (not scanned by me) have some success.

does anyone else try and se screen old scanned newspapers and books.?
anone got a favourite method.?

regards
Sandy.

De-Screening experiments.jpg

Hey Sandy. Quick question......

To descreen means to remove the Moiré pattern created when viewing an image on a screen/monitor. Is this what you are referring to? Or are you just wanting to remove the texture created by the half tone printing process?

Hi, both, but in tis case the single color was screened for its haltones. More is more common in color processes when the different screen are et a various angles. acccoring to the colours. newspapers (monotone) are screened to create half tones.
regards, Sandy

There is no method that you can prefer, because it always depends on the image and its scan quality.

Unfortunately, many do not pay attention to the fact that the template should be 100% flat when scanning (if necessary, force it to do so with removable adhesive strips) or when photographing, the sensor must be aligned parallel to the image and then the lens distortion must be removed so that you can remove the print grid has the greatest possible success. A JPG compression is also not helpful. Personally,

I don't usually use the Topazlab plugins for this, but first use the Pattern Suppressor

example (without removing graining).jpg

1. as I said, I am experimenting to find a good reliable method.
2. as a bankrupt pensioner, I cant afford. lucky to even afford photoshop right now, and have to give up maly luxuries for that.
3, as I said I did not scan these, they are public domain in many library images on line. and consequently many different scanner, image qualities, and greatly varied screen sizes, etc. you should seee te thousands in the Boston Public library web site alone.
4. I use a specialy made half inch thick a4 nylon (medium Hardness) translucent sheet, that I got as scrap from a plastic warehouse, as a pressure plat to hold my items on my scanner flat to the surface. (I wrote an article for a Photography magazine on testeing you scanners depth of field) in 2005.
5. I used to work part time for a traditional old age hot lead printer. (The technical college I went though had both a working Linotype and working Monotype machines... and until the 2011 flood that destroyed my collection, hundreds of thousands of early printing equipment and books. eg Ronchi Rulling Glass screen of many varying sizes and angles etc.
regards, Sandy
below is my printers wetplate camera from 1920. now destroyed.

Giant Camera.jpg

@nurgle - breaks my heart to read about the loss of all that equipment. I started my career in book print production and was treated to tours of lettershops with basements filled with linotype machines and dusty California job cases in the corner. I still have the lead slug that one of the operators made for me with my name on it. Worked on the manufacturing side in offset shops, watching the strippers put together the flats after cameras did their work. Really enjoy seeing what you're working on and restoring. Those were great days in their own way. :)
- Jeff

Back