What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploring the symbiotic relationship that exists between the

Rick Miller

This is a technique that I demonstrate to my students.

Exploring the symbiotic relationship that exists between the Magic Wand and the Eyedropper.
Rick Miller

In addition to using the tolerance settings to impact the spread of your Magic Wand selection, one should be cognizant of the symbiotic relationship that exists between the Magic Wand tool and the Eyedropper tool. Knowing this allows you to fine tune and dial in with significantly more flexibility your selections.

To illustrate this relationship simply follow the enumerated steps:

1. Open an image in Photoshop. (RGB, Grayscale, CMYK)

2. Show Rulers (Window>Show Rulers)

3. Zoom in until you can see the individual pixels that make up your image.

4. Drag 4 guides from the vertical and horizontal rulers so they surround an individual pixel (any pixel will do). This pixel will serve as a reference point, the guides just ensure you're using the same pixel for this technique.

5. Open your Info palette (Window>Show Info)

6. Select your Eyedropper tool and set the Eyedropper Sample Size to Point Sample (default setting) from the Options Bar.

7. Move your eyedropper over the pixel surrounded by the guides previously set in step #4. Notice the color values of the Red Green and Blue in the Info palette then write them down (or if you can, remember them).

8. Change the Sample Size to either 3x3 or 5x5 Average.

9. Move your eyedropper over the pixel surrounded by the guides previously set in step #4. Notice how the color values of the Red Green and Blue in the Info palette have changed from step #7?

10. Reset the Eyedropper tool to Point Sample.

11. Select the Magic Wand tool and click on the individual pixel surrounded by your guides. Notice the spread of your selection?

12. After Deselecting the selection (Select>Deselect), Select the Eyedropper tool and set the Eyedropper Sample Size to either 3x3 or 5x5 average from the Options Bar.

13. Once again, select the Magic Wand tool and click on the individual pixel surrounded by your guides. Notice the change in the size of the spread from step #11?

Rick Miller

I'm on my way to Photoshop...this is the kind of stuff I like.

Just re-read an article on the relationship between Gaussian Blur and the HighPass filter...

To be able to really unleash creativity, I need experimentation (Mark's way) and a profound understanding (Rick's way).

Learning every day...yippee.

Learning every day...yippee.
We all learn something everyday, or at least we should. Photoshop is a very complex program, that's why new techniques are always being developed. No one knows everything about the program, including the programers.

The key then is to be part of a community where people share and learn from one another. Mark and the members here have created a very friendly and open photoshop community for which you all are to be commended.

Cheers.

Rick Miller said:
Mark and the members here have created a very friendly and open photoshop community.

Absolutely right! That's why I keep coming back :)

Gaussian, you wrote:
Absolutely right! That's why I keep coming back
Me too!
:)

Back