What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exporting Image Problem

grimf

Hi, I am trying to export an image but the exported image looks much different than what it looks like in my photoshop. Here is the image:64583624_2037101453251610_6955783472417865728_n.png It's subtle but the exported version is darker and more jagged.

How do I make it so that it looks the same as the original >.<

thebestcpu

Guru
I would try making a stamped Layer on top and view at 100% side by side with the Exported version at 100% to eliminate display rendering issues. Did you change color space on export?
If it does not go away, would you be willing to crop the image around the face (has differences there) and share the PSD file and a cropped Export file for others to compare and also examine what is going on? Interesting problem
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Also, forgot to suggest that you should be comparing the images in the same piece of software to eliminate issues with non color managed applications displaying the image improperly (if the problem goes away when you view both in Photoshop, then you know it is not a Photoshop issue btw)
John Wheeler

grimf

It looks the same as the original when i open it in photoshop. Does this mean it's fine and I don't need to do anything? i opened it in chrome and it looks like the original in chrome but when i opened it in internet explorer it looked like the altered version. Sorry if this was a non issue and wasted everyone's time.

grimf

Wait, now the original is fucked up too, I don't know what happened T_T

I will just post the psd

Attachments

• 124124124124.psd
    9.8 MB · Views: 3

thebestcpu

Guru
Besides the prior mentioned viewing conditions, here are some steps to make sure it is viewed as best as possible when viewed on the internet by someone elses computer

1) Make sure you are using sRGB color space for the image and when you save and/or export the image you are embedded the color profile with the image.
2) For you own viewing outside of Photoshop you need to be using a browser that is color managed and with the color management turned on. Here are a couple links to help you with understanding the issue and pros and cons of various browsers:

https://cameratico.com/guides/web-browser-color-management-guide/

https://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

3) Again for your own viewing accuracy it is best that your monitor is calibrated and profiled with a device from Xrite or DataColor. That includes having the display intensity set correctly which is really important especially if you are going to print to have similar tones on the print as what your have on your display

4) You can't control if a recipients monitor is calibrated and profiled nor if they use a color managed browser. Since most monitors out there are still narrow color gamut that is why using sRGB color space is still recommended because it would be the closets match for the majority of narrow gamut displays out there.

Hope the additional suggestions are helpful
John Wheeler

ushere

You can't control if a recipients monitor is calibrated and profiled nor if they use a color managed browser.

unfortunately this is ever so true... as a professional tv and video producer all i can suggest is that you use a color calibrated monitor (we use a spyder and associated software to an external monitor driven by a black magic card), but you can use a single good quality monitor (we also use hp dreamcolor with great success).

but, as stated, at the end of the day we have no control of the viewers monitor.

grimf

Under export preferences "convert to sRGB" is checked, is this the right thing? Also, is color mode relevant at all to this? Thank you so much for the help btw. I am going to get my friend to help me calibrate my monitor. I don't have any money for a calibration tool right now unfortunately, but I will buy one in the future and re calibrate.

Are newer models of monitors better at displaying accurate color? I know oleds are amazing at this, but what about non oleds? If they are improving in this aspect as well? Would this problem slowly go away in the future?

ushere

i've generally found most budget monitors a bit of a cr*p shoot - okay for the office but not much else. i think at a minimum you need a good quality branded ips screen or better. unfortunately colour and stability come at a price usually.... i'm sure there're others here who are more familiar with what's available nowadays (i stopped spending on technology a few years ago having got to a level i'm happy with).
that said, getting a spyder and calibrating whatever you have at the moment might well be a lot cheaper than forking out for a good monitor - you might not get perfect reproduction, but it'll be somewhere in the ball park.
i doubt the problem is EVER going to go away. at your end you can control what you put out, where it's shown thereafter is moot. i have friends who watch their tvs in vivid, hdr, or theater mode and i've seen my work on all of them and had to bite my tongue ;-) as for their pc monitors, well they're always too bright and bluish. mac's probably come pretty well calibrated, but then again, you're paying for it ;-)

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi grimf
Unfortunately, you have a problem that became intermittent and which you cannot reproduce as mentioned in post #6. When I loaded up your PSD file I could not repeat what you saw in Photoshop. In fact, what I could see on my screen was exactly what you were seeing for the darker toned image.

Without being able to reproduce the issue you saw by either of us, we would be just guessing on what might have changed.

What this means to me is that the present PSD file that you see is displaying correctly with the darker tones for what is in that PSD file. I did view it at 100% with a stamped Layer to make sure I did not have dsplay anomalies. That may not be what you want yet I believe it is being properly represented as darker tones. So something changed and it is not clear if it was some minor change made in your image/layers or something slightly changed in the software, display magnification etc. If you have an older version of the PSD file you might be able to find the difference between the two PSD files (if there was a change).

Trying to fix the issue you saw without root cause could very well be just sending you down a "wild goose chase." Lots of energy spent and not much to show for it.

Not that when I viewed your image at the magnification from your first image (15.13% as show in lower left corner of PSD screen), I was able to reproduce some tone differences between your existing file and one that had a stamped Layer yet it was not as dramatic as what you saw.

Note that even without having your display calibrated, if your image is in a known color space (yours was and sRGB), and you export to the same color space, and have the profile embedded, and use an image viewer that is also color managed, the images will both look the same between Photoshop and your alternate viewer (e.g. color managned browser). Now without color management, what you see may not match a color calibrated/profiled monitor yet you you would not see differences upon export.

That is why I think tryign to solve this with color calibration/profiling would not solve whatever issue you had. Calibrating/profiling would be good in general yet I believe not solve the root cause issue of what you saw.

You would need to be able to consistently repeat the problem so others could give it a look to make good progress.

To answer your specific questions, your image was already in sRGB so having the box set to sRGB is good for internet viewing yet would not cause any changes to the image. That by itself does not embed the color profile with the image. I don't know the version of PS you are using yet most versions have a box labeled "Embed Color Profile" which also would need to be checked. As far as future types of monitors, yes they are getting better about being set or have a mode that can be set to represent sRGB or Adobe RGB color space. You still would have the issue of making sure the monitor On Screen Display controls are set correctly and everything still depends on the brightness of the monitor as well. All monitors will age with time and not keep that perfect initial calibration/profiling over time. Without knowing root cause of your problem, it is hard to know if this was a color management issue or not.

If I were you and still wanted to fix the problem, I would try and get the problem to be repeat reliably without being intermittent. If you need to move on, you may need to correct your image to the desired tone and move on. Not the best place to be in yet that is my assesment.

Hope that is helpful
John Wheeler