What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eyedropper acting up!

mrrich

Hi there,

me and some others from cgtalk are having this problem in CS2 and can't find a solution. Basically normally you press i or select the eye dropper tool, the colour you pick becomes the foreground colour. You can also press alt to select the colour for the background. However somehow this action has been reversed and now i have to press alt to select the foreground colour.

Really annoying as it slows down my workflow when painting. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this, there doesn't seem to be anything in the prefs dealing with this. Also reinstalled ps a week ago which fixed it, but has now happened again!

Any ideas much appreciated

thanks alot

Hi mrrich and welcome to the forums! I don't have a real answer and can't seem to duplicate your issue but have some suggestions anyway.

When you are using the Brush tool to paint, while the brush tool is active, all you need to do is hold down the Alt (Option) key and the cursor changes on the fly to the eyedropper. Releasing the Alt (Option) key returns you to your brush. If you do that, does the Eyedropper select the background color? (It shouldn't.)

Next, I'd try activating the Eyedropper tool and from the Tool Bar I'd bring down the Tool Presets menu. In the upper right hand corner is access to a flyout menu which will offer you the option to Reset Tool. Does that return the tool use to 'normal'?

Finally I'd trash my preferences. To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop or ImageReady, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?" or "Delete the Adobe ImageReady Settings file?"

Good Luck!

Colour Palette
In the corner are two boxes that are the foreground and background swatches. The swatch that is selected is the one that will receive colours from the Eyedropper. Click on the one that you want to receive values.

See: Stupid Mistakes

Haw! Thanks, Stroker. I so seldom use the color palette that I never ran into that!

Back