What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eyedropper tool problem

RobertsDigital

Guys please when I use the eyedropper tool to choose a colour, the colour comes out different

I have have temporary uploaded the video on youtube showing the problem (link below):
How do I fix the selected colour to be identical pls
I'm still kinda new to photoshop.....I'm using CS6 btw.
Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What happens when you use ....sample: current layer?

RobertsDigital

Hi sam? How do I do that?
Please I'd send you the file so that you can tell me exactly what's wrong...

Edit: I have the file.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Works correctly for me...........
Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 12.24.12 PM.png

Have you tried resetting the tool?

RobertsDigital

let me try...
It didnt work though
Do I have to reset the brush tool or eyedropper tool?
I think it has something to do with the layers......any other options?

eyedrpr.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In looking at your video, all your settings seem correct and you should be able to sample from any layer. If resetting the tool does not work, you may need to reset your prefs.

Tip: When I'm painting using the Brush Tool, I just hit the alt/option key to access the Eydropper Tool. Makes color changes quick and easy.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do I have to reset the brush tool or eyedropper tool?
Try resetting both.

I think it has something to do with the layers......any other options?
I don't think so as I was not able to reproduce your results. When I tested, I followed exactly what you did in the video.

How do I reset my pref and what specifically in the pref do I have to reset pls ?
Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

RobertsDigital

Try resetting both.

I don't think so as I was not able to reproduce your results. When I tested, I followed exactly what you did in the video.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

It didn't work.....it still paints like that

RobertsDigital

Try resetting both.

Oh I figured it out.....It insisted I work on a different layer
Thanks sam for the help so far

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ahhhhhh...............I just figured out why it worked for me. I did this without thinking! I saw that the "right side layer" was set to 90% opacity which I thought was a mistake. So I adjusted it back to 100%. When I tested it on the same layer, the brush tool/eyedropper tool worked perfectly.

Since you stated above that it was layer related, I re-tested at the 90% and got the same results as you did!
Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 11.51.35 AM.png

So the problem is in the transparency of that layer. My fault for assuming and not asking if that 90% setting was done on purpose! Sorry.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you want to work on that same layer, you will need to adjust the opacity back to 100%, otherwise you will have to work on a new layer and merge if you want.