What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faded Photo restore #1

ebaylus

Hello,

I have 5-6 photographs that have hung in frames, but have faded terribly over the last 10+ years. I have some low resolution scans made when the photos were new. Is it possible to have the photos restored to match the original colors from the low res scans?
I've tried the 'Match Color' adjustment, but it doesn't do what I think it should!

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Gene

maybe a level-adjustment-layer is necessary
can you post a faded example + low res for the colors ?

I tried adj layers, and seperate channel adjustments. I'm not even getting close... All 5 are faded the same...

Scan_20200912.png2010nathan.jpg

WOW, that was fast (and nice looking). I'll have to give it a try and see what I can come up with, with the others.

Thanks for you assistance.. I'm not having any luck with this.
I've been playing with the channels and curve adjustments for a bit, but not even close to your results. Kudos to your skills!

Should I post them to Photoshop requests?

@colleague combined the two photos that you posted in post #3. Did you download his PSD file??

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 4.29.31 PM.png

I see the 2 photos in the layers, but, after researching, I still don't see how they are combined. I do see the changes in the curve channels, and levels. Thank you for the help. I guess I still need to watch more tutorials, and practice...

I see the 2 photos in the layers, but, after researching, I still don't see how they are combined.
The bottom photo layer has a "Normal" blending mode setting and the top photo layer has a "Color" blending mode setting. This is how they are blended.

OK, I see that now, and how that adjustment works. Because the low res image and faded scans are not the same image, should I crop the low res 1st?? I'm have a difficult time overlapping the images correctly.

Thanks for all your assistance!

Back