What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite filter

RichardC

kiwi said:
Did you know the Gaussian blur was actually invented by Mr Gaussian :) .....not sure of his profession etc,but I know it was designed by a guy called Gaussian :D

Stu.

Perhaps a blind photographer of long ago...Ha ha :D ha ha
'Just joking, of course :\ .....RC

{OZ}

actually the Gaussian Blur in Photoshop uses the mathematical formula derived from the Gaussian curve (aka Bell curve). and the name of the guy who formulated that good ol' curve is Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss. If you are just a bit familiar with statistics (not a lot... just a tad), you might remember the bell curve and other good stuff like Median, Standard Deviation and Mean which all of them can be viewed from the Histogram window in Photoshop... if you want to mess with math in photoshop [confused] , the histogram window is the place to look at. open up an image, fire up the histogram window and do some math. you might find some interesting stuff sometimes. what is it good for? well.. you find out :D

anyway.. here is what our good old friend PS does to pixels when you apply Gaussian Blur! B7 . I hope I was clear with that image..

markm

..... well I liked the idea of a Mr Gaussian Blur.... spending his time walking the dog with Mrs Radial Blur...... damn you OZ..... next you'll be telling us that Father Xmas was dreamed up by Coca Cola!

:)

{OZ}

hahah markm... hmm... when I think about it... it could be!! haha ;) always be skeptical..

plus

"If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by statistical methods. "
Williams and Holland's Law

[stuned]

allrite.. im going out to get some coke now

Rich

Well said Oz. Mr. Gauss was quite the dude. He was also prominent in the field of Electromagnetics. So much so that the strength of such fields are measured in Gauss units. I remember from my calc. classes that he had quite a fascination with prime numbers as well. (I never said he was an exciting dude...:D )

Rich

Tron

Guru
Don't you just hate a smart alec he he
damn colledge kids :rofl: :rofl:
Good explaination there OZ

Alistair

Guru
DEFINITALY!!!

My alltime Favorite filter is Polar cordinants! It's a very useful filter if you know how to use it.:perfect: :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:

ALL FILTERS IS A GOOD FILTER amen

Well I'm trying to catch up on some unread threads of 2002.

This is a facinating one and I really enjoyed reading all comments.

I kept looking for someone to name my favorite filter. But no one did, so I have to represent it myself: The Smart Blur. I add a touch of it to almost everything, like salt to a tasty dish. But I'm in love with the 40's styles and many gurus don't go back that far so I forgive your lack of enthusiasm about Smart Blur.

J ;\ YFUL

Indigo - I was so interested in what you said about the find edges filter. I took a shape and hit find edges many, many times. I didn't count but certainly until the shape filled up. I thought you might be interested in the result. I was ;\

wbiss

Guru
Joy... that's a really nice result using that filter!! :perfect:

[confused] Funny how my "Gaussian" fodder pic ended up in this thread... 8[ I suppose that Oz's original image and mine were named the same and one got substituted for the other when the new board went up? [confused]

G

I'm everywhere, didn't you know that Wendy.

See, you're not the only one who can stalk :D

wbiss

Guru
8[ Gauss! [upset]

Wendy, About G-man's picture and great animation. I noticed that too.

They should be moved to Fodder pt.2, too good to waste here. Yes?

wbiss

Guru
Yes, Joy... I agree! Let's let G-Man do that "move thingy"! :D

Otherwise, I'm going to have to dig out my "Mod Handbook" and actually study it! [confused] :rofl:

[doh] But, knowing him... he's going to "direct" me to do just that... just so's I learn how... 8[

Geoff

great animation gauss! :rofl: