What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Summer Pictures

Lee, great pic!

Here's one I've been trying to locate for a bit. The things you come across while NOT looking for them.

This is somewhere in Colorado. Either between Santa Fe, NM. and Durango "backroads", or between South Park and Breckenridge. anyway, "naturally" lighted. not the brightest, but it's what was available.

A beauty! Has the same majesty as the lagoon one I liked so well. How do you get so lucky as to travel all over? I'm jealous.

Joy,

Thank you. That is just a photograph taken on a still morning. Reflections were brought out more in PS. :perfect:

Joy Foraker said:
A beauty! Has the same majesty as the lagoon one I liked so well. How do you get so lucky as to travel all over? I'm jealous.

LUCK is exactly why. I have great friends and relatives that actually want me to visit them. So, I can't let an opportunity go to waste.

I'm on my way to Western New York in a few weeks. Syracuse-Niagra Falls area, and am planning on a few more pics then.

When I vacation for 2 weeks or more, I average 800 pictures taken on my digital, each trip. So, there's bound to be a few decent ones here and there.

:perfect: Beauties everyone! Lee, those reflection pics are so great!
Joy, that dragonfly is perfect! :} Ric you are such a lucky traveler too!

Well, I just got a Sony DSC H1 5.1 mp digital camera and tried it out this morning on the moon... :D
moon7_26_05_h1_97k.jpg

Cool Raven! I tempted to hoooooowl :D
I just bought SanDisk 256mb Memory stick pro today and was planning to go to the aquarium tomorrow, BUT as luck would have it, it's not compatible with my Cyber Shot DSC P-71. Rats! I hope Best Buy has a good return policy :\

Maya - Stunning, love the quiet blue colors too. I have always been an admirer of the moon --this one looks so close and familiar yet somehow remote. :shocked: Great camera - its a keeper. I see a nice chunk of property in the mountain area, we could subdivide and make a fortune. [slick]

Looking forward to what you catch at the aquarium Nitro. That capability thing is nerve racking. I took my cam into the shop, bought a disc, loaded it and took a picture of the salesman. I said "you are my receipt if I have ANY problems". :p

Hey Joy,

It just occurred to me, being the PS expert that you are, that you might have been looking for a much more detailed answer to the quickie I gave you.

That row boat image is many many years old. It was taken from a dock on a VERY cloudy winder day. The lake was calm as glass. I liked the image. I've had it around for years but it was not until I learned Photoshop a few years ago that I was able to make many of my "pretty good" images into great ones.

I did not actually do much to that image. To begin with, I love minimalist photography. When I came across that old slide I scanned it into the computer. I opened PS and used hue/saturation to bring out the subtle color in the boats and reflections. I then selected the boats and reflections, reverted the selection, gave it a one pixel feather and blurred all the water around the boats until it was perfectly "smooth." The water was just reflecting a grey sky anyway and that was a perfect backdrop for the subtle color in the boats.

That Atlanta skyline was kinda the same. Taken went the sun was very low in the sky to give the light that orange tint. The image was actually taken for a client back when I was a advertising photographer. Anyway, I came across that one a year or so ago, knocked out the original sky, found a dynamic cloud formation that was almost the same color as the color in the buildings and voil?. That's to PS it became a much better image than the one I originally shot with film a looong before image editing was made "easy."

Lee

PS Welles, I hope I did not describe how I made that image the first time I posted it. Like the image itself, I couldn't remember so just said the hell with it and described it again. Sorry if it's another re-run. I'm old now ya know. The mind is the first thing to go. :D

Lee Thanks mucho mucho, I hungrily read all the details. Your approach is really complete, I have trouble --"seeing the potential of a picture and trying to bring out its best points" What a wonderful talent you have! And you make it sound so easy. I think where most of us fall by the wayside is trying to develop the full potential of a photo. And you make is sound so easy! forgive I repeat myself.

Then your expertise at Photoshop is really top drawer awesome. You just had to make be feel bad by saying "using it for several years" -- I'm going on 7 years and still feel like a beginner.

Another thing that amazed me was that the reflection was already there! It was so perfect, I imagined you had to put it there on both boat pictures.

I guess I don't need to say I'm a fan of your technique and thanks for taking the time to post - I think everyone on the forums will be interested too.

Joy, Here's a few more images that fall into the "Things are not what they seem (thanks to Photoshop)."

The fisherman image was shot at sunset. The sky had little to no color. An okay image before PS enhancements, a MUCH better image after the color was added.

The tip of the canoe image was much lighter. I selected the boat, inversed the selection and dramatically darkened the rest of the image leaving the boat normally exposed but with added saturation in PS. I love images where there is just a splash of color in an otherwise b&w image.

The cabin was just separated from the surrounding background, feathered and made into a sepia tone. The original image was actually kinda boring. Just an old cabin in the woods. Neat from a point of view of history but not necessarily photographically.

I wish I would have saved the before images of these to show folks what can be done in PS to make average images very dramatic.

43534.gif

81673.gif

43872.gif

Lee - wow your "touches" - really bring drama to the pictures. The amazing thing is the changes do not sound complicated just so well applied. Thanks Lee really good work.

:D Thanks Nitro and Joy, glad you liked the moon shot!
You're right about the real estate these days -- prices have really sky rocketted everywhere. The wooded area I'm in has seen most properties just about double in value in just a couple of years! Lots of people from Calif. retire and move into this area and Florence, Oregon. They still see property here as a bargain and snap it up. It's the climate -- the mildest year round on the planet.

Lee-- BEAUTIFUL photos and PS work!!! :} Thanks for sharing some of your ideas for them. :perfect: I bet you could fill a wonderful photography book/s with your works. Reflections -- art, adventures and travels through the lens sort of thing! Write it all down Lee!
8D

Lee: I must echo Joy and Maya's comments, these three images just blows me away! I'd buy the book :perfect:

Yow and Wow! Lee your eye is superb!

:} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}
(the small crowd is growing, and cheering)

Great pics Lee :} :}
and great Pshopping %}

Great shot, xam-e. The colors in the ground plane of the image seem pulled from the snail shell itself! :perfect:

Xam-e ditto Welles! colors mmmm good

Back