What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File size difference between open and closed

nurgle

photoshop often confounds me. and occasionaly i get a large difference w=between the image size when it is open and the file size when it is closed..

713.7 meg open, and 1.7 gig when closed. No layers at all, no links etc.. just one large flatened image.

mostly my files when open or closed show the same file size.. curiouser and curiouser.

regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 21.10.14pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 21.09.50pm.jpg

photoshop often confounds me. and occasionaly i get a large difference w=between the image size when it is open and the file size when it is closed..

713.7 meg open, and 1.7 gig when closed. No layers at all, no links etc.. just one large flatened image.

mostly my files when open or closed show the same file size.. curiouser and curiouser.

regards, Sandy

View attachment 131850

View attachment 131851
Hi @nurgle
I have seen a number of reasons for this yet could best be addressed by providing s link to the PSD file on a file sharing site/service
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler.

Hi @nurgle
I have seen a number of reasons for this yet could best be addressed by providing s link to the PSD file on a file sharing site/service
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler.
the original file is 1.7 Gig... but if i watermark it (after all I put hours into retouchig it) it could chaneg the file size dramaticaly.. I have since opened and closed it and even done very small spot retouched to see ifthat may clear up the file, but to no efect. it staill says 1.7 gig on the desktop file size, and only 713 meg when open..

it is not the only file that this happens to also... though thankfully this is only a 1 in 100 event.

regards, Sandy

The integrated thumbnail is probably responsible for the difference in size.

To test, simply place a white layer on top of the other layer and save - alternatively deactivate saving of the preview image in the preferences (> File Handling).

thank you. the file does not show any desktop preview at all.
regards, Sandy

Hi @nurgle
On the same vein as @[ iLLuSioN ]
There are many reasons why the saved PSD file can be different than the reported size within Photoshop.
That is normal and you should not expect them to match.
There are a variety of settings in preferences that affect the results and PS also applies compression as well so it is dependent of image content. Metadata and embedded ICC profile makes some difference as well.
Example, I can take a 8 bit 1000 x 1000 pixel image as a solid white image and PS reports 0 kb in size yet when I save it is 75Kb. With no compressions for PSD and PSB files it was 140KB (which is strange because that size image inherently as 3 MB of 3 color pixel data.

I get the impression that this was more of a curiosity for you rather than the need to specifically know why your specific files was different (which would require having the file)
I hope this helps you to understand to not expect the numbers to match.
John Wheeler

PS - Here is just one link of dozens that talk about this issue (though it also includes multilayer images): https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/psd-file-size-bug/td-p/10320374

Hi @nurgle
On the same vein as @[ iLLuSioN ]
There are many reasons why the saved PSD file can be different than the reported size within Photoshop.
That is normal and you should not expect them to match.
There are a variety of settings in preferences that affect the results and PS also applies compression as well so it is dependent of image content. Metadata and embedded ICC profile makes some difference as well.
Example, I can take a 8 bit 1000 x 1000 pixel image as a solid white image and PS reports 0 kb in size yet when I save it is 75Kb. With no compressions for PSD and PSB files it was 140KB (which is strange because that size image inherently as 3 MB of 3 color pixel data.

I get the impression that this was more of a curiosity for you rather than the need to specifically know why your specific files was different (which would require having the file)
I hope this helps you to understand to not expect the numbers to match.
John Wheeler

PS - Here is just one link of dozens that talk about this issue (though it also includes multilayer images): https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/psd-file-size-bug/td-p/10320374
wow. thank for the detailed explanation, which does clear up some of my though on this.

regards, Sandy

Your more than welcome @nurgle I wish the numbers more more meaningful / consistent as they would be more useful for me too.
John Wheeler

yes, the internal mysteries that often confuse & Confound, beond the understanding of mortal men... hahahaha. regards,

yes, the internal mysteries that often confuse & Confound, beond the understanding of mortal men... hahahaha. regards,
unfortunately i dont have a "first born" to sacrifice to learn the widsom of the univers and Mac OS internals... hahaha. regards

Back