What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finished Snowglobe

SPWA

Power User
Finished my Snowglobe :) The background is what it is, I know it's not a perfect setting, but least I can now add any suitable image into the globe, and it's a resource if I need it.

Globe.png

The base is my own. drawn using vectors in Ai. The layers were then exported to PS & fx'd. The globe is from this Tutorial

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Are you inviting critiques?

I don't mind. If it can be improved, that can only be a good thing.

Things I would like to change is maybe, less snow, or bigger flakes even. Not sure how to go about that though.

I would suggest you go to the snowflake layer use the >filter>distort >spherize (maybe 30% give or take) a bit maybe even with the stone layer. I would probably feather it also, maybe 6 to 10 pixels? You would get more roundish appearance with inside the globe it looks flat very flat...well done though, keep it up! That's only a suggestion take it for what it's worth

I do not have the layers so I just selected a small circle inside globe (roughly)that might even work that way, it'll distort the lines in the plywood behind or the paneling behind.

just-testing-idea.png

The base needs a bit more of a shadow that starts out strong and dissipates into the diffuse center lighted shadow of the globe. (kind of like a magnifying glass). This would match the strong highlight you have on the globe.

example but more subtle:
301094149_7c47390360_m.jpg

The background is too evenly lit, it needs a gradient.

Thx iDad, I shall have a look at that. I like how your Stonehenge looks. More "globey" than mine. (if that's even a word.) I have quite a few movie memorabilia snowglobes in my Man Cave, and I see, they do distort the view of what is behind.

@ IamSam. Thx, very useful info for the Shadow. I really wasn't concerned with the BG & shadow at this point, but I will certainly make note of what you pointed out. The thought had crossed my mind as to what sort of shadow the globe would cast, & when I need more detail for proper use, it will come in extremely handy. :)

Last edited:
I was going to add that about the shadow directly underneath, and Sam's observation about the reflection/shadow is excellent if you want to go that far with realism. If you don't, I think that's cool. I really like it and the change you made to curve the stones really adds to it!

Back