What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire Vortex (how do I do it)

Prophecy

First off, I want to say cool site, I have been reading this site for a month or so now and getting some good info off it.

Question at hand.

I need to design an intro for a gaming site with a theme of "HELL"

So I m thinking a Circular Vortex with Fire.

Any idea how I can make the circular shape in photoshop in it with fire?

The real important thing is I will be using this image(S) in flash. Have like a vortex thats moving slowley while the text comes out of the center.

Photoshop 7.0
Eye Candy.

Thanks

Prophecy

Just a quickie:

1/ Open a new white doc
2/ Draw a black diagonal
3/ Distort>Twirl filter at maximum
4/ Posterize, 2 hues (= black and white)
5/ Magick Wand, and select one side of the white
6/ Save selection in new channel, then deselect
7/ Open Channels palette and activate the new channel
8/ Apply Ocean Ripple filter to it (size 15 magnitude 12)
9/ Load channel as selection and reactivate composite channel to see image, deactivate new channel.
10/ Open a new layer, set fore and bckgr colour to red and yellow and apply clouds.
11/ Levels: make clouds harder by dragging left and right slider to the centre
12/ copy layer and place copy between layer and background
13/ Apply strong Motion Blur to copied layer, then ripple
14/ activate background with the spiral on it
15/ set fore to black and backgr to fark red and apply clouds to background
16/ use some smudge on the two fire layers

This is of course only a basic idea that can be modified, embellished and intensified. Don't feel home in hell, you know...
If you want to go to Flash, you can easilt reduce colours with the posterize command.r

Nice job erik, you explained it well, and cool pic too! :perfect:

Problem I have is I cant really get the effect I want. I want a vortex, that will move in flash.

I think im over my head.. I wanted something that looked cool but I think its not happening. I was hoping to get the flame to move or to get the whole thing to spin but it didnt work out right.

Thanks

Prophecy

I'm not sure what you are looking for.

I can show you how to do this in a fire variation:

blowouta.gif

As a matter of fact, this animated GIF is a variation on animated fire.

Stroker thats what I would like man.. But RED! Larger as well.. I would love th bring some images and some text out of that.

Please post an how to.

Thanks

Prophecy!

Welcome to the forum, Prophecy. :) That's a "toughie" and I really like Erik's tute for the static version. You can easily adapt same to recreate the anigif that Stroker has shown. ;)

Good luck on your project, and be sure to show us your results! :D

Start by reading Fire - 76. Do some link hopping from there and do some more reading.

Not sure when I'll get the time to show my Polar Coords variation. Could very well be a few days.

Well the links are slow and not connecting for me at this time.

I ll have to wait on you unless some body could replicate his effects for me.

Please? :{

welcome aboard Prophecy
the links work fine at this end try them again
sfm

Time to punch in. Gonna do this will all text. For a Fire vortex variation, I only did some playing it and I didn't take it all the way. I only did enough fiddling to satisfy that it will look decent enough.

Gonna do this on a 256x256 canvas. With the Offset filter, we'll be going by increments of 16 for a total of 15 frames. Most people would think that it's 16 frames because 256/16=16, but the last frame is the same as the first, so it gets deleted.

Start New Doc with 256x256.

First thing to do is make the Magic Layer. This is our tilable pattern that we'll be operating on. You make it by running Filter > Distort > Clouds once, then running Filter > Distort > Difference Clouds enough times to make you happy. Make sure you are using the Default colours - hit 'd' to make sure before you start getting crazy with Clouds/Difference Clouds.

Quick Note: Not a bad idea to run Image > Adjust > Levels (ctrl + l) and bring Output Levels 255 down to 253. If you don't do this, then you'll get pure white artifacts when we add the Colour Burn Mask Layer. Then again, you could save this for later and use a Levels Adjustment Layer, which probably isn't a bad idea so you can do more tweaking while you're at it.

Copy your Magic Layer just in case.

This next part kind of sucks because you don't know how it's going to look until much later down the road. Here's what I tried real quick and was mildly pleased:
Ran Filter > Stylize > Wind using Method: Wind and Direction: From the Right.
Image > Transform > Rotate 90 CCW so it looks like icicles.
Then Filter > Distort > Ripple using Amount: 100% and Size: Small.

Not bad, huh? Now, this is going to be our Second Magic Layer. This is the one we'll be copying and operating some more on. This should stay intact. Copy it and let's continue.

Filter > Distort > Polar Coords using Rectangular to Polar.

Are you starting to see it? Okay, let's add a few things to spiffy it up.

Add a new layer on top of that and set the Blending Mode to Colour Burn. Fill it with pure black. Grab the Airbrush, nice, soft and with pure white, and so some painting. Paint mainly in the middle and stroke outward. This is the Colour Burn Mask Layer. Once you get the feel for how this works, leave touching it up for later.

To colourize it, add a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer. The colours on the sliders should look something like this:
Black - Red - Orange - Yellow - White
Play with it until you are happy. Again, prolly be playing some more with this later.

Now, the middle of the doc will present a problem. It will be a pin hole or something shooting out black and white. Don't want that. Add a new layer between the Magic Layer and the Colour Burn Mask Layer. Paint some white in the middle, maybe even set the Blending Mode to Screen. We'll call this Pin Hole Fix Layer.

Time to get tedious. This is were an Action comes in handy.

Copy Second Magic Layer.
Order to underneath of the pin hole fix layer.
Filter > Other > Offset and use
Horizontal: 0
Vertical: 16
and Wrap Around

Copy Second Magic Layer.
Vertical: 32
and Wrap Around

Copy Second Magic Layer.
Vertical: 48
and Wrap Around

Keep doing that. The final Offset to be used is
Vertical: 240.

If you haven't saved yet, now would be a good time to do it. As a matter of fact, you have to save it to move on to Image Ready, which is the next tedious part.

Are you in IR yet with a Bunch-O-Layers Fire Vortex document yet?

Should have the first frame loaded and ready to go. The Layers turn on should be:
The bottom Polar Coords Layer
The Pin Hole Fix Layer
And the layers above that (I've already forgotten the names of them).

Add a frame.
Turn off the current Polar Coords Layer.
Turn on the Polar Coords Layer above it.

Add a frame.

Add a frame.

Et cetera until you run out of Polar Coords Layers. Theoretically you should end up with a total of 15 frames.

Play it and see what it looks like. Should be spiffy.

A good thing to do right now is to set the Disposal. Select all frames, right click, and choose Automatic.

Save it again if you haven't already.

Now it's time to do all that tweaking that needs to be done. Believe me, with all of the elements running around, there is great potential for variations and what-not. For example, changing the G-Map Ad-Layer can do wonders. Playing with the Colour Burn Mask Layer can give very different looks and feels to it. The things that you do to the Clouds/Difference Clouds is also a good thing to play with. All of these things play together for truly wonderous things.

Heh. Maybe even add that Levels Ad-Layer that I mentioned earlier.

Eventually export the animated GIF. And ave the PSD again, but with a different file version number.

Now, for Flash, I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe do your initial document at 512x512 and size it down and needed once you're happy with it. Then, save out each frame individually. Then, load them into Flash and Trace Bitmap to vectorize them. I have no idea if vectorizing the individual frames will cut down on file size or not, but I do know that an animated GIF can get big in a hurry.

That's about it from me for now. I'm sure questions will be flying all over the place. Maybe someone will even play with this and post results. Maybe Lil' Bowser will make a guest appearance.

play.fiddle.learn

Stroker, great instructions! ;) I did a much smaller version using only 8 frames, and just gave a "twist" to each layer with this result:

Woah... Thanks for taking the time to do that stroker.. I am going to attempt to do that.. I got lost in the first few sentences but Ill give it a shot..

Thanks again

Prophecy

Go, Wendy! Tedious, yet fun, isn't it?

Here's my first version of Lil' Bowser getting crazy with the Cheese Whiz:

littlebowser.gif

That was done with Polar Coords using Polar to Rectanglur, some rotating, and cropping. If I hadn't rotated and cropped, it would look like a fountain of fire.

I have another version of Lil' Bowser giving Pkman the business.

Took a real quick whack at a fire vortex sized down. Not entirely happy with it, but I'm not sure what to tweak to make me happy.

Thanks G-Man! Like the guru Stroker says... you play... you fiddle... you learn! :)

Prophecy... have a "go at it"! It's the only way to learn! ;)

:rofl: Stroker! I remember that waaaaaay cool image of Lil' Bowser giving pakman the "business"! :D

Yes, tedious it was Stroker (seeing as this was my 2nd or 3rd attempt - doing 16 frames) but, nonetheless, a great learning experience for me! ;)

I really like your fire vortex Stroker :perfect: Only thing is, I'd slow the frames down to somewhere between mine and yours... otherwise, you've got a really great effect going on here! :perfect: :perfect:

Back