What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First attempt at gel text

ranger72

Hi There Folks!

This is my first attempt at Gel Text....This will be the first time that I will get to see what it looks like (meaning my effort) uploaded to the web! :)

ranger72

Nuts! :p

I hope I can learn to do better than that!

Lots of Jaggies in the text...Shadowing and lighting is terrible...and it does'nt look like gel!!!! [doh]

Oh Well! Back to the drawing board!

Critiques welcomed!

... relax ranger72 ... remember 'boot camp' (I think that's what you guys called it - we called it 'rookies') ... those that have been there before us will put us straight and guide us toward exellence :D :D

G'day namvet

Yes;that is quite true;but in my day (Basic Training or BootCamp) they accomplished this by implanting a size 12 boot up your donkey! :D :D

I hope they don't do that here! :rofl: :rofl:

"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

ranger72 ... I do believe, but I'm not 100% sure. that theKeeper has banned the use of size 12's (and associated sizes) on this site :D ... so you can relax a tad (however push-ups are still 'order of the day' if required :rofl: )

Now nobody has to wonder which site where on! :D

Nice work ranger72 :perfect:

HOOYAAAHH namvet! :perfect:

Well Then! May GOD bless "The Keeper" and keep him well!

......and as far as pushups go.....how many do you want??!!

ranger72

Hi wendy

Thanks as always for your good counsel and I shall go to the site soon as I finish posting! :) :}

Heeeyyyyy gaussian! :rofl:

your right ! you pretty much know when I'm around! thank you for the encouragement!! much appreciated!!

ranger72
:D

Uh! oh!

Gotta go fast!

Thunderstorms are announcing their presence!!!

Be Back later!!!!

the ranger }:\

The biggest crit I'll give you Ranger is your lack of depth.....you seem to have a good handle of the color concept....but you dont have the form.

Keep pluggin away....play around with bevels....and shading......as well as lighting effects, and you will love what you see.

Hi There Wendy!

Navigated over to the tute you suggest above it seemed less complicated than the one I originally used to create the post above and when I got into it...about half-way through step 3 I ran into a command /instruction...

Layer>effects>bevel and emboss...I could'nt find it nor could I find a workaround....

I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 when I select layer there is no effects in the sub-menu...I run into this quite often...I'm finding out that even when the author of the tute says the tute will work in Photoshop and /or Elements sometimes it will and sometimes you just can't find a workaround...

This is something I will have to deal with....I'm resisting spending $600US
for PS-8 until I become reasonably proficient w/Elements.....

In the meantime I'm half way through your tute and I'm stuck...

I'll have to pull a rabbit out of my hat! :D

ranger72

hhheeeyyyyy,

chillin

Thanks for the critique and I can see that your advice is correct....however for now I can't seem to find beveling in Photoshop Elements 2.0....

I can't seem to find anything about beveling and embossing in the layer sub-menu in Elements....

I'll find a workaround somehow...somewhere... :) :B

ranger72 3[

hmmmm I forgot youre using elements.....I myself have not used it....but I guess it does not have all the stuff that PS has.....the next best thing would be to manually give it depth.....lasso the edges.....shade em in....highlight em.....

You definately should get your hands on PS.....you will wish you did sooner.... :p You could even get a beta version..... [shhh] [stuned] [saywhat] *gasp* . Probly not something people like to hear....but for starving artists...its sometimes the only way to go... [saywhat] I stop talking now.

Thank you LILLY!

As a matter of fact the tute I used was one of Janee's but I will go to the link you provided and try that one...it could be different than the one I tried...

I will let you know!

Thanks again, :)

ranger72

Hi LILLY

This was the tute which I used for the initial Photoshop Guru Text!

However; I tried it again and this time I think there are improvements.

Thanks all for the input :)

I'm going to try Mark's tute on chrome text next...

ranger72...

This is all great training for the day when I may be able to build my website!

Hi Ranger...

The confusion comes from the facts that Photoshop has Layer Styles, that were called "effects" in Version 5, and 5.5, while PS Elements has also a palette for "effects" which are the equivalent to Photoshop's "Actions"...

Thus, to find what you need, I recommend to look into your Layer Styles palette, like described in http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_sstyles1.htm

(there is a drop-down list on page two of this tut, where you see the bevels, glows, etc... )

Home page for PS Elements tips : http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm
A very good read for you!

Back