What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first question

stevannie

hi
i have recently joined a photoography club and bought a new Canon 350d digital camera, however i seem to keep forgetting to change the white balance setting on camera outings.
I have inserted a link to a picture i would like either someone to mess with, or help me sort it out, i have tried using levels and stting a gray point, but i cant seem to regain any colour and it just seems washed out.
i also tried to clone out the for sale board, but it wouldn't even do that either. I am using CS2 on a dell laptop, winXP home.
link:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/stevannie/bakewell.jpg

please look at the Bakewell photo, i would really like to enter this in a competition.
many thanks
steve

Hey, and welcome :B I will see what I can do, the person to ask is Patrick

the person to ask is Patrick
hi redrooster
thanks for the very quick reply, i have a much bigger picture than that one if you need it, it has been optimised for the web.
Do i take it 'patrick' goes by another name in here, remember i dont know anyone yet!
steve

EDIT:
scratch that, i have found his name, many thanks.

Hi again steveannie. Well, your first question is a doozie! I was not able to do a particularly good job of restoring some of the original colors to that image just using Photoshop's native tools. I don't doubt that someone could, but not I in the half hour or so I was willing to spend on it. So I cheated and used a plugin ( }:\ ) PictoColor's iCorrect Edit Lab Pro. Even then I used a couple of layers with blend modes, some burning, dodging, a layer mask or two and so forth. Here is the result. I actually spent a total of an hour on the image and ran out of time as I was called out for a Mac tech support job.

hi welles
WOWEE, what a fantastic picture, i cant believe someone with only half an hour spent on it
could make it this good 8)) 8))
YOU SIR are a god, many thanks for your time.

PS i do have another picture to do ;) i wont be able to take the same? photo for at least a year, so i really do need it , ANYONE????...
steve

Steve,

Post a link to the larger size and then resize a copy in Photoshop to 600dpi wide, save it as a JPEG less than 100K in file size using Save For Web..., and attach that here so we all can see it.

hi welles
i have added this picture for you to look at, it was taken on the same day as the last picture, so not sure if you would have to redo the same again, or maybe not as bad.
bridge.jpg

will post a bigger photo on my photobucket site.
cheers
steve
ps not sure how to resize to dpi, usually just use 'save for web option'.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/stevannie/

do you have a web address for pictocolor, google cant find it.

Hi Steve

Here's a 10 minute job on the image which you posted before the uplink. I used iCorrect, and then the Shadow/Highlight image adjustment in Photoshop, followed by one of my favorite sharpening tools, Focus Magic. Remember, real Photoshop experts disdain the use of 'third party plugins'. I'm not a real expert, just an artist. "Whatever it takes" is my motto. However, over the years one naturally gets better and lots of plugins become secondary in quality to the capacities of a skilled person working with Photohsop's tools.

To resize images (physical dimensions) Image > Image Size... gets you the dialog. For saving to web the dialog with which you are familiar is the best.

PictoColor...

http://www.pictocolor.com/editlabpro.htm

hi welles
what can i say, both these pictures are now printed and awaiting mounting, you have performed beyond the call of duty, and made my weekend a brilliant one. I just shaded the bridge photo a touch more, because it was a bit too light on printout.
thank you so much for your time and the effort put in, i know i will enjoy my stay here. All i need do now is learn for myself, so maybe, one day i can teach others too.
thank you 8)) :D
steve

Welles that was a nice job you did on the house...Icorrect, I'll look into it.

I wanted to see what was left if you inverted the blue tint..worked ok
at least it give a person a place to start.
if anybody wants to try it...use the eyedropper to get a blue tint sample.
Then open a new layer above the image and fill with the foreground color.
In this case its a shade of blue. Invert the color and set the layer mode to color..
lower the opacity until the colors start looking better..in my case it was 63%.

this takes only a couple of minutes but it gives you a good start.

Lasa

Oho! That's a clever approach, lasa. I knew someone would find an answer with Photoshop tools. I tried curves and levels without much success before I fell back on iCorrect. The big value it has is that with a few eyedropper clicks you can establish the density of color cast correction in six different brightness levels with varying levels of correction. I'm afraid I'll never become a real expert because I tend to use any tool which makes tasks easy. ;)

I'm with you..What ever it takes...if I had icorrect..beleive me, it would have been Icorrect-ed.

Lasa

hey lasa
neat job, love it, and as you say, a great place to start. i will write down your way of correcting it, as with my memory, i will need to use it again in the future, unless i shoot in RAW mode.
I suppose i could always put a better sky on it too, i think that would work great, mmm i just may try that too.
many thanks
steve

hi guys
just had to post you this photo, i took it tonight. The wife and i went out to photograph a few night shots, but being halloween it was quite busy.
anyways let me know what you think, oh by the way, i think the light on the pub is too bright and may need toning down a bit, but i will have a go at that.
cheers
steve
lowdhamnight.jpg
[/img]

Steve,

If you are going to have at the lighting, try Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight. Should you give that a try, be aware that when S/H loads it immediately lightens the shadows but doesn't touch the highlights. You might wish to slide the Shadow adjustment all the way down and bring up the Highlight slider to tone them down.

I like those kind of pics. [honesty] were it looks like alot of things are moving but one thing is standing still

Hey, here's another approch with PS native tools. I simply used 'photo fliter' (warming filter) to eliminate the blueishness. Then I used 'selective color' to seperate the different hues in the picture.
After that I also duplicated the BG and set to soft light, but the shadows seemed to intense so I used select > color range to select the shadows and ctrl, x them out.

hi guys
just a quick one for now, i have cloned a new sign from another photo taken on the same night, i tried the shadow/highlight thing, ok but needs something more, so i tried to dodge a bit around the lights, i first used the eyedropper to get the colour i needed, and started dodging, but it seems to come out grey, why?
steve

Back