What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first try with digital illustration

MSUprep

Hey all,
Before I get to the point, I just wanted to say that I have been lurking around here for the last month or so, and every time I stop by I learn more and more. The forum seems to be a very comfortable place to ask questions, and at the same time, a great resource for learning...

Now with that all said... I?m looking for some literature on digital illustration (my first attempt at teaching myself is below). Specifically I?m looking for something that deals with using both Illustrator and Photoshop to create an image. More specifically, using the pen tool in Illustrator to ?outline? and then Photoshop to ?ink?. As of now the pen tool is a bit of a mystery to me.

When all is said and done, I'm looking for something like this:
http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/37800/progress.gif, but in a bit more detail.

Anyways... Thanks to all for the great information, and if is this is in the wrong place, my apologies in advance

Cheers
~P

Hi MSUprep and welcome to the forum! :)

I hope that you don't mind, but I thought that your subject matter might be better suited in the "New Users" Area here, so I have moved it from the 'Showboard' board. ;)

I'd also like to mention that the link that you have posted only directs me to a blank page. [confused]

With reference to your query about using a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop to create your Pen & Ink art, yes you can do it that way. But I'm wondering why you wouldn't use Photoshop's vector tools and save yourself the time and hassle of using 2 applications to create what one will do?

I've not seen tutorials "out there" that deal with these two separate techniques as one topic. Certainly there are lots of decent "pen tutorials" out there and plenty more "coloring" ones. A quick search with Google should find you both.

You mention that the pen tool is a bit of a mystery to you. I'm attaching a very basic tutorial that will help you to get acquainted with it. Hopefully, this will get you started. ;)

Wendy, thanks for the reply. Sorry about posting in the wrong place, I guess I didn't consider myself a "new user", but looking at things it is better suited here [confused]

As to why both PS and AI? I don't really know... That's just the way I learned in school, and maybe that's the way I like it so much. But then again... I never really learned PS's vector tools (making a path, stroking the path...) AI's just seem easier, but I suppose that is a very uneducated argument...

Thanks for the Tut. I will definately check it out when I get home from work. And as for the link, I'm not really sure why it doesn't work for you, but below is the gist of it (I don't want to take credit for anything shown on the image, it's definately not my work) In my case though, I would be using AI instead of auto CAD and PS instead of Paint Shop Pro.

Cheers
~P

Illustrator is the king of vector imaging imo, and works extremely well with phtoshop. I also find that illustrators pen tool is alot better, in photoshop you dont have the control over strokes etc that you do in illustrator. Anyways you can start here for some info...doesnt cover the pen tool but looks a scanning line art and colouring in photshop.

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/

;) Yep, I gotta agree with you stickdiesel!

I just find myself using PS's vector tools more and more in the interest of "time & convenience".... :\

BTW, great link that you've supplied. That "How to color lineart in Photoshop via Channels" is a keeper! :perfect:

Back