What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific fix needed for pixelation in background

Dziga74

Premium Member
This should be a relatively simple fix but somehow I'm struggling with it. There's pixelation in the gray gradient background I'm trying to even out while maintaining the general texture, IE I don't want the correction to make the background look artificial. I've tried degrees of gaussian blur without success. If you have a solution, please post your process along with the result. Also please post in the same resolution and file format. Thanks very much for any and all help.

HS.jpg

JeffK

Guru
I actually tried this using Topaz AI Sharpen, isolated the background, and pushed the suppress noise slider all the way.
I did convert to RGB to get it done then converted back to grayscale when finished.
If I look hard enough, I think there's some banding which shows in the original image.
Then again, I think Million Dollar Baby was her best film...:cheesygrin:
- Jeff
HS edited.jpg

Dziga74

Premium Member
I selected the subject and couch to a new layer above then applied Topaz Clean to the BG layer and added back a little noise before merging both layers.

View attachment 120646
Once again, thanks very much for your help. I suppose I'll have to invest in Topaz, seems it's the answer to all my issues...

Dziga74

Premium Member
I actually tried this using Topaz AI Sharpen, isolated the background, and pushed the suppress noise slider all the way.
I did convert to RGB to get it done then converted back to grayscale when finished.
If I look hard enough, I think there's some banding which shows in the original image.
Then again, I think Million Dollar Baby was her best film...:cheesygrin:
- Jeff
View attachment 120647
Thanks Jeff, definite improvement. Very much appreciated.

JeffK

Guru
I suppose I'll have to invest in Topaz, seems it's the answer to all my issues...

Topaz has an incredible suite of products. Bit pricey but depends on how much you'll take advantage of their tools.
Not every tool can fix every problem every time you use it - but quite incredible what they can do when they're able.
Get yourself on their mailing list - they run sales from time to time...
- Jeff