What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixing an old photo

Tron

Guru
I,ve got an old photo of the ship my dad sailed in during WWII and i'm trying to fix it up a bit. here is the original and a small copy of what I have done so far. Any ideas out there for how to improve it more would be appreciated 8))

Well done so far! I would continue by coloring the ship and maybe touching it up a bit (with airbrush?).

- Alistair

Is it possible to darken the color of the water and brighten the color of the white portions of the clouds? You've done an awsome job of selection of the ship...especially around the mast rigging. I just think there should be more color differention between the sky, clouds and water.

You could do a google search and find color images of US Naval vessels of WWII to get an idea of the camo scheme colors too.

Thanx for the comments Doc - here is an updated version. Still working on colouring the ship or possibly desaturaring the background to leave it as a black and white pic. Might be more realistic that way.? ?\:/
any thoughts ?

Finished product, the original is much larger I did this as a tribute to my Dad

Rick said:
possibly desaturaring the background to leave it as a black and white pic. Might be more realistic that way. \:/
any thoughts ?

I like the b/w version - has a lot of charm.

I like the b/w version - has a lot of charm.
Me too. It was a bit more 'classy' you might say. Beside that, I think you did a good job of colorizing it, but I also think that those cloud bubbles behind the text looks kinda tacky. Anyway, that just my opinion.

Black and white looks beter.
My version:
Shadow/Highlight to push the "shadows hidden details".
Desaturate.
Hue/saturation, with colorize and a low saturation.
ship.jpg

Use one color contrasting text and a clearer type.
Nice work.

Thanks for all the input folks, I took the majority advise and went for the b&w version. Came out great

Thanks again for the input 8)) 8)) :} :}

Back