What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixing up an enlarged image

WarmingTheCurb

Here's my problem: I had to enlarge this photo and I need it at these dimensions, but now (as you can see), it's all grainy and choppy. I've already tried to sharpen and clarify it, but is there anything else I can do to make it look better?

anni.jpg

Thank you.

The file is a JPEG file. This means that, to make the filesize smaller, it has been condensed. The way JPEG does this is by assuming that pixels with approximately the same values can have one mean value. This reduces filesize, but, unfortunately, also reduces the quality. When you blow up the image, you start seeing blocks and artifacts like you do now.

There are a few plugins that can give you a better quality, but they're not cheap.
And as far as I know, everything you can do from within Photoshop is very limited and rather complicated in technique.

One is called "genuine fractals". They use a fractal algorithm to calculate. You can find a demo on your Photoshop CD.
The other one is from the Netherlands, but I can't remember its name.

Don't expect any miracles because what is lost with jpeg compression cannot be restored.

About all that you can do, in a case like this, WarmingTheCurb (without the use of expense plug-ins) is become a bit of an 'artist' and fill in the missing information. [oops]

In the example that I have posted here, I used a combination of the blur tool (to blend), dodge & burn (to highlight and/or reproduce shadows) and I did a little painting. It's a 'quick & dirty' example, but I've done it to show you that with a little 'time' and patience, you can come up with an acceptable pic. :\

That's Wendy: when there's no way throught the desert, she makes one of her own! And be shure it's a good one, complete with restaurant and wine pub! :perfect:

Erik: That's Wendy: when there's no way throught the desert, she makes one of her own! And be shure it's a good one, complete with restaurant and wine pub!
:perfect: I can always find a restaurant and a wine pub anywhere Erik! If not, I create my own! :D

Tx! Ahhh... so you see what can be done WarmingTheCurb! ;)

[confused] I'm wondering WarmingTheCurb, how my "after" image got in your initial post??? [confused]

I'm re-posting so that others can offer you up some suggestions as to how to clean it up... ;)

wbiss said:
Erik: That's Wendy: when there's no way throught the desert, she makes one of her own! And be shure it's a good one, complete with restaurant and wine pub!
:perfect: I can always find a restaurant and a wine pub anywhere Erik! If not, I create my own! :D

Tx! Ahhh... so you see what can be done WarmingTheCurb! ;)

ahhhhhhhhhh yes but what about the taxi or tuk tuk :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice job you did Wendy well done girl :}
sfm

:) Tx Sue!

[confused] What's a 'tuk tuk'?

Wendy

A tuk tuk is kinda like a 3 wheeled bike that is used in Thailand like a taxi... see...

spot on Bubble :perfect: still waiting for my pics to be developed or I could have shown you he he he
sfm

Thanks Bubble! :) Ya learn something new every day... [innocent]
:D [confused] Funny looking things they are!

[stuned] What's with this "waiting for pics to be developed" Sue??? No digi's???

No I sold my old digi camera remember......... In about a months time I will be able to order my Olympus....... I have no idea how my photo's will turn out on the old 35m still a good camera but it did play up a few times while over there }:\ ripped a couple of them up [saywhat] and refused to work [sly] but I got there in the end......... roll on next month! then I have to wait for it to arrive from the US argh more waiting :(| :(| :(|
sfm
ps: should have my pics tonight

Yeah, I knew that you sold your old digicam before you left, Sue, but I thought that you were going to buy a new one while you were away. [innocent] My mistake!

[excited] Hey, I'm sure that your 35mm pics will turn out just great! At least you remembered how to operate the camera! :perfect:

Back