What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flattened image before I added background!

grannyow

Is there a way to unflatten or go back to my layers so that I can add a backgound? I was so relieved to be done I flattened the image and then realized I had forgotten to add a background to my assignment! Oh no! I was just rejoicing because I thought I was done and it's only 2PM.....aaahhh....

Hope you can help me.

The only way was to press ctrl + z immediately after the merging to undo but after that there's no way to retrieve your layers.
Btw, there's no need at all to merge your layers when finishing a project!
Just save as... psd, png, jpeg

Hi and welcome to PSG

Alas there is no way to go back if you have saved what you have done, never ever and I mean ever flatten your layers, you should always use this shortcut on the top layer Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E to merge all the layers below, at least that way your layers will be intact and you can always go back

There's a great feature in Affinity Photo that I think Adobe should implement and that's the ability to save your history states very useful

Last edited:
Okay, thanks. I will have to try the magic eraser tool and cut out the background i guess. Thanks!

Okay, thanks. I will have to try the magic eraser tool and cut out the background i guess. Thanks!

The magic eraser tool is handy sometimes but it's a destructive method, there are better options to make non destructive selections for removing the background

Last edited:
I finished and resubmitted it already. I actually had part of it saved part way through and wa able to salvage it after all. It's not pefect but it will have to do because I have a painting to do and I need to eat lunch! Thank you all for your help!

Back