What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame Animation problems in photoshop

bryanfeywilde

So I'm working in Photoshop CS5 and am essentially trying to Animate a multi layered painting that I painted in the program.

ExhibitA.jpg

I started off by making a rough penciled animation of her scarf using the Frame Animation panel. After a long while of creating frames, and getting the animation timing correct by adjusting the frame speeds I finished her scarf animation and wanted to move on to her hair next... But....

ExhibitB.jpg

....I can't figure out how... My issue is that I want to essentially create a new frame animation within my drawing... but ... It appears that I can only have one Frame animation in a project...

I would just start animating the hair in my already created frames that I animated the scarf on.... but... The play speeds for that animation are adjusted specifically for the scarf.

I tried hitting the "Convert frame animation to timeline" button... But.. my animation became slower and the speed got screwed up. Not only that, but I can't seem to "Find" it on the timeline. The animation is just gone and I can't find what layer it's on.

So to sum things up, I need to animate multiple parts of a multi-layered painting, and I would greatly prefer to do this using the Frame animation panel. Does anyone know what I should do? Or.. A possible work around for me to use?

Thanks so much in advance. I've searched everywhere for answers, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for..

~Bryan

You can create new layers on individual frames, just click the new layer icon to place new layer on top of any selected frame you wish to start from.

You can create new layers on individual frames, just click the new layer icon to place new layer on top of any selected frame you wish to start from.

ExhibitC.jpg

I realize that, but it won't really work for my situation...

As you can see, the timings have been adjusted to allow for a natural movement of the scarf. However... If I were to go ahead and animate the hair movements ontop of these layers the timing of the hairflow would be messed up. The hair would unnaturally start to slow down and speed up along with the scarf where it shouldn't...

I needed the speed of the hair to be separate from the speed of the scarf...

=(

Would split layers be of any help?

Ehh not particularly. First off I'm using the Frame Animation and splitting seems to require timeline mode active. Second, I don't think it's relevant. From what I can tell, it just sorta chronologically splits the video layer on the timeline, letting you manipulate it or somesuch as two different clips instead of one...

Bryan, take a look at KEYFRAME ANIMATION using the video timeline. This is the only way I think your going to be able to do what your wanting to do. The problem is, you may have to start all over from the beginning.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck adding the hair movement to the existing scarf movement frames.

Bryan, take a look at KEYFRAME ANIMATION using the video timeline. This is the only way I think your going to be able to do what your wanting to do. The problem is, you may have to start all over from the beginning.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck adding the hair movement to the existing scarf movement frames.

Hrmmm Thanks for the advice. Not exactly the answer I was wanting to hear though!

I really like photoshop's animation tool, but IMO it's gaping flaw is the inability to jump between frame mode and timeline mode seamlessly. I don't understand why you have to do some huge conversion to go between the two. They seem like they should just be two different ways of looking at the same thing.

I might try the timeline next time I do an animation project, but for now I think I'm just going to do this the old fashioned way. Aka, adjust the timings by hand via physically adding and subtracting drawings from the animation to make certain parts play more quickly and then more slowly wherever needed. It will be good practice for me anyways I guess...

Thanks again!

~Bryan

Without seeing your scarf animation or knowing how you plan the hair movement, it may depend on how the animation of the hair will be like.

If you plan to have the hair movement slower compared to the scarf, use 2 or 3 frames for one animation movement of the hair. This means the hair will move every 2 or 3 frames. ( ie... frame 1 - scarf/hair move ... frame 2 - scarf move/hair remains in same position as frame 1....... frame 3 -scarf/hair move.... frame 4 - scarf move/hair remains in same position as frame 3....... and so on.

If the hair will be faster, you have to rework the scarf animation sequence - assigning 2 frames for each scarf movement.

This may mean double or triple amount of frames hence bigger file.

OR.

You can draw the hair in each of the frames you now have but the movement has to be slower or faster (in smaller/bigger increments) than the scarf movement.

All this may take a bit of trial and error in doing the hair animation in the first dozen frames. But if you get through this, doing the rest of the frames will be easy coz you know what movement has to be done.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

Move slower, add more frames. Move faster, add fewer frames. It's very similar to under-cranking or over-cranking a film camera.

Without seeing your scarf animation or knowing how you plan the hair movement, it may depend on how the animation of the hair will be like.

If you plan to have the hair movement slower compared to the scarf, use 2 or 3 frames for one animation movement of the hair. This means the hair will move every 2 or 3 frames. ( ie... frame 1 - scarf/hair move ... frame 2 - scarf move/hair remains in same position as frame 1....... frame 3 -scarf/hair move.... frame 4 - scarf move/hair remains in same position as frame 3....... and so on.

If the hair will be faster, you have to rework the scarf animation sequence - assigning 2 frames for each scarf movement.

This may mean double or triple amount of frames hence bigger file.

OR.

You can draw the hair in each of the frames you now have but the movement has to be slower or faster (in smaller/bigger increments) than the scarf movement.

All this may take a bit of trial and error in doing the hair animation in the first dozen frames. But if you get through this, doing the rest of the frames will be easy coz you know what movement has to be done.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

I completely understand. What you and Iamsam have described is essentially the tactic that I am going to use. What it boils down to is essentially me doing a better job as an animator... which I am fine with.

Thank you all so much for the quick and helpful responses! Greatly appreciated.

Back