What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeform pen crashing program

kim123

Hi Everyone!

Here's the problem:

Whenever I use the freeform pen or magnetic lasso, it crashes the program.

Here's what I done to try to fix the problem:

Upped ram to 512
installed another hard drive and use that as my scratch disk
(now have two hard drives)
deleted preferences and started over---twice
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program

I know it's the computer because I had the trial version of PS before I bought it and it happend on that one also.

I'm attaching the error report it tries to send to MS whenever it does this...it's all greek to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

BTW the computer is Dell Deminsion 4100; 900Mz; 512RAM; Speed of hard drive 7200.

Thanks,
Kim

Sounds like a memory problem to me.
Try this... remove the old memory stick and replace it with the new one.
Only use the new memory stick.
Try again to see if you get the same problem.

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I finally figured out why the free form pen tool as well as the magnetic lasso kept crashing PS. It was my graphics card---not enough memory. Replaced it and now everything is working...no more crashing.....

Thanks

kim123 nice to see you found the problem ... and even nicer that you posted the cause/result ... I (and probably others) learn heaps from your type of post :)
... hmmn, graphic cards have memories :shocked: ... must find out what memory my graphic card has .. :D

It's impossible that the amount of memory had anything to do with your crashes. It's only a storage place for all your pixels and colours.
If you don't have a lot of memory, then you will have less colours when you use higher screen resolutions.

Seems to me that either your old card was malfunctioning or the drivers for it ;)

[confused] [confused] ... reprograming brain .. 'graphic card has memory to store only pixel and colour info' .. right got that ... life was so much easier before I left the kitchen :rofl: :rofl:

Back