What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From photograph to drawing

G

• Open pic and duplicate the layer
  • Select the blending mode color dodge for this layer
  • Invert this layer (ctrl + I) (don't be scared if the layer turns suddenly white)
  • Add a Gaussian Blur between 0 to 15 (try to experiment and don't make the lines too thick)
  • Merge the visible layer by pressing ctrl + E (merge visible)
  • Now image/adjust/threshold to kill the color and add depth to the lines.
    Play with the little triangle below the histogram for the tweak[/list:u]

Have fun and show us some of your results ;)

Hey a great technique for this effect, nice find G.

Try this also for just a little more control:

After merging down, Desaturate the layer and add a LEVELS Adjustment layer. Tweak the black point slider to achieve the same results as Threshold, but with more control over the midtones -- by adjusting the Midtones slider.
And then to add more of a Halftone or Mezzo look to it, set the Blend Mode of the Adjustment layer to Dissolve, and drop the Opacity to about 50% or so -- play with that to suit taste.

[excited]

Nice work guys :perfect:

After some experimenting, I noticed that you get the best results if you start with a large document and resize it down; just try it.

Important; don't force yourself to bring out ALL the details when you apply the gaussian blur (less is better), because the final details will come out when you apply the threshold.
If you apply too much gaussian blur, you will get thick lines and not the typical thin pencil lines.

I will have another go - I applied a 9 g-blur first time and then 15 the second time around (on the second image)
sfm

Nice quick & easy method Gaus! Thanks for sharing same...:perfect:

oooooooo nice Wendy

well had another go..........
sfm

I got so carried away with all of this that I............. accidently clicked linear dodge instead of colour dodge and look what happened...........
sfm

last one I promise she is just so darn cute he he he
sfm

Real nice guys, real nice. :perfect:

Ya this is a nice, quick technique. Works well on just about any type of photo too. I think that's where the amount of gBlur will differ -- i.e. darker & lighter photos may require more or less gBlur to produce similar results.

Have to really test that theory to be sure.

Great pix Sue with nice effects achieved! The linear dodge produces a real soft effect... accidents like that you can handle :rofl: !

P.S. Your subject matter is a real doll!:)

I say she takes after her mum ha ha ha (yeah I dream a lot he he he)
thanks for the thumbs up - I enjoyed that one today
sfm

That turned out real nice Linda! :perfect:

I've erased a couple of hubbies myself! :rofl:

Again... nice effect Linda! :D

Back