What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fur texture

RackToon

Hello all.

Got a request from a friend to illustrate a homicidal axe-wielding maniac in a bear costume.....you know...nothing quite says Christmas like a homicidal axe-wielding maniac in a bear suit. :D However I was wondering if I could get advice on creating a better fur texture on the bear costume. I tried a noise filter followed by a motion blur, but it wasn't too effective. Any suggestions?

HomicidalBear.jpg

Hi RackToon. Try the brushes instead of filtering.

Pick a colour, I used black.
Open the Brush presets and select the one like an eyelash from the Brush Tip Shape panel.
Tick the Shape Dynamics button, and select it. Twiddle with the Scattering settings. You will see a preview at the bottom of the Brushes window.
You can also alter the brush size and rotation angle to suit the *lay* of the fur.

Create a new layer in your Bear image.
Scribble away and build up the texture.
Experiment with the blending options. I used Colour Burn to darken the brush strokes into the hide.

This took about 10 seconds scribbling.

Have fun and let us see your results.

Al.

Al, are you sure that you didn't use a self portrait of your torso that you cloned in the picture?
(it is meant as a compliment, really, the fur looks realistic!)

Hello, Racktoon! it is possible to get a good effect with noise+blur, especially if followed by some liquify... look at this picture (warning: very slight nudity) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.treherne/pages/pubgall.html# done by Andrew/Raphael...

He! He! Pierre, you caught me out. [saywhat]
Photographed my knobbly knees and pasted it in. :rofl:

How's things anyway?

Sue, have you got sorted out with the C4D CE yet?

Al.

golly I haven't had time to scratch my knees let alone think of 3D for me ;\ my son however is right onto it and uses it all the time - he came top in the 3D project at school where they showed it to all the new comers of what can be done......... mum didn't get to see it [oops]
sfm

"simulated" fur brushes have to have some randomness in them, and be of varying opacities and colors to keep the poor bear from looking like an ad for chest hair... :rofl:

Here's my version, again with brushes. This was a grunge brush I downloaded.

While I was adjusting the blending modes for the fur, I found this interesting little effect with "exclusion" mode, and had to play with it a bit...much scarier looking, don't you think?

Rick, please be gentle with my zygomatic muscles...

Al, Bowmore lover, I'm really fine, back from holidays at the Reunion Island (but maybe should we hold this conversation out of this thread...)

Hee..hee..hee. He's looking furrier than the average bear Boo-boo. Looks like you all are having a hairy good time with the bear. I've had another big project come up, so I haven't had time to explore these possibilties, but I hope to get back to it in the near future. :D

Back