What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant File Size

jackknife

Hey guys. I'm working with a new client who is working with a company they haven't worked with before to get a sign made.

The specs are 59in x 59in. To even set up a file that big it is around a gig. Is that normal? They want me to ftp the file(s) and it seems like a gig is huge for one of the 6 files they need. They want the .psd format.

I guess my question would be is there a way to make this files size smaller? Is 300dpi necessary? Having not done work on this scale before I'm confused.

Shocking but yes. 300dpi is a norm (around here that's what we use ) .

In fact some even go as high as 1200.

Logic - think of it as a 5x6" pix blown up to 40 times the normal size. The end result is pixated picture. Even in Photoshop, take a scanned image (2inches x 2inches at 300 dpi ) enlarge it by 500% and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know if it's a norm in your place but a rule of thumb I follow is:

Say - for 16inch x 20inch poster print size, I work on an image size of 1600 x 2000pixels at 300 dpi. For say a 24 x 36 size poster print set around 2400 x 3600.

This means inches x 100 to get the PS image size in pixels.

Back