What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass Christmas Balls

Bobzworld

Power User
hey hey Guys, Happy Holidays :)

I need to make some Glass Christmas Balls for Christmas Pics but i can't remember the whole Process.rocess

i'm wanna put my niece on one :)

so can you give me some instructions or ven a Tut link?

i appreciate any help, Thanks

Well i've never done one of these before, but... is this at all to your liking Bob?

If so i can post my PSD file here for anyone who wants to look at it. This effect is only slightly more involved than a normal shiny glass ball effect. Although in fact, the lighting wouldn't really look the way i've made it here. But i think it looks nice like this so, what the hey. [honesty]

You can edit/alter the PSD file to your liking if you feel you can't grasp how to make the effect. In that case consider this a Xmas gift from me. ;)

If however anyone has any questions about the layers within the file, just ask. :B

Moltas thanks, wen i googled it the gootutorial link wouldn't come in. Thanks it loaded.

Mark :perfect: thats what im looking for Please post it.

thanks

Pretty cool theKeeper :)

It's more involved than what I came up with but I like it.

(I had used a colored gradient base with a reflection map set to multiply.)

The reflected light into the shadow and the reflected christmas lights are a nice touch.

i can't seem to get what i want, it just don't look right to me.

any suggestions?

Bobzworld said:
i can't seem to get what i want, it just don't look right to me?
I don't understand. It was always my impression that you wanted to know how to make a Christmas ball.
If that's the case Bob, then you should tell us what doesn't look right to you or post at least the results of your attempts and not Mark's orginal ball on which you placed a picture, although both look great to me and it's just a matter of personal taste which one I prefer.

JoeD
You can edit/alter the PSD file to your liking if you feel you can't grasp how to make the effect. In that case consider this a Xmas gift from me.

Of course i can make a ball, i was going for a look of the Girls Pic was put on by the co. that made the balls.

Bobzworld said:
Of course i can make a ball.
How could we have known Bob? [confused]

Anyway, I think your 1st image looks great for a natural looking reflection in a Christmas ball :perfect:
The 2nd one isn't bad either, but the effect looks more painted.

i can't seem to get what i want, it just don't look right to me?

They both look fine to me. I prefer the top one but that's a matter of taste.

I think this is definitely a case where we can't answer the question for you. Put it aside for 48 hours then come back to it with fresh eyes. You should be able to spot what is bugging you then. Try flipping it vertiically so the brain does not try to "fill in the gaps" and confuse you.

I kinda saw this as a challenge after the last post by bobzworld. He stated he wanted it to look like it was put on by the company that made the ball -- so I took a stab at trying to make it look silkscreened!

it's not awesome, but it's my boy! he loves his football!!

first i cut him out of a pic i have of him, then scaled him down to fit the ball.

next I applied a few filters to get that "silk-screened" feel to it. placed this between the highlight spot and the layer below it!

Like i said before, it's not perfect -- but i only did this in about 10 minutes. I just wanted to know of this is more like bob wanted!?

That's not bad Bob.

Although I'd go with not tinting the photo.

If it were really painted on it would have it's own lighting and material characteristics separate from the ball. Just think of what medium was used to create the photo/trees -- like oil paints, paper, etc. And apply the appropriate properties to it.

hehe well... it looks more painted than the previous one.. but you've completely covered the highlights and shading that give the ball it's main qualities.

Try overlaying some light/shadow properties on the painted image. I think that would help a lot.

You're on the right track though. :perfect:

PS: have you ever seen those 'inverted' Christmas balls Bob? That might be an alternative here. This example isn't exactly like those, but it shows an alternate method of display.

Back