What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glass effect

ronmatt

Guru
Some time ago, someone posted a question about creating glass in PS. That's when I discovered that I wasn't too good at the effect, so I made my mind up to work on it. Here's an example of how far I've gotten. It still needs some improvement but I think I've got the tools now and I'm on the way to pulling it off.
This was done using the Reindeer 'Select Edges' plug-in ( free at Reindeer Graphics ) and by creating some gradient brushes. Once I get the technique I'll post a quick tutorial. I know that I still need more transparency. I am working on getting that without sacrificing
definition. I'll post the progress for critique later.

Here's a technique that I came up with. I used an hdr image and decreased the exposure to separate the light source(s) from the rest of the image and did a bit of distorting with warp transform. I've found that this is one of the best ways to achieve realistic looking reflections. I guess it's kinda cheating (not 100% PS) but it looks good.
For the sake of comparison, I whipped up an old tube and used an hdr map.
BTW, how exactly did you use that 'Select Edges' Plug-in and for what?

Patrick. How are you editing HDR or EXR in Photoshop? anyway, The way I use ( and the reason ) 'Select Edges' is for very subtle color enhancements , shading and hilighting.
Here's what I do; 1) move my image to a new window with trans bg. Duplicate the image, Turn off the top image, select the bottom one, use the 'select edges' plug-in' ( choose the effect you want ) Now.. The most important step, click on select > inverse and click 'delete'. You are left with a line image that defines the contrasts of the orig photo. You can increase the 'drawing' by duplicating the layer and merging, you can change the color, add a gradient, add any layer style, blur, Place it on top of the photo and let your right brain kick in.

here's some examples of how I use it. the top is the orig. illust. the center has a colored and blurred select edge effect over the top and the small one has the select edge line under the image then a gradient brush ( as eraser ) vignetting the image. These effects have little or no value for photos, but for illustration, the sky's the limit

I did some glass stuff a while back, too. :)

clearstuff.jpg

lightbulb.jpg

That neat, Ron! Downloading the plug-in right now. Btw, that is a SWEET illustration. I'd like to see a larger version of that car/vehicle thing.
All I do to the HDR image is turn down the exposure and gamma to extract the actual 'light source' of the image, then convert it to 8-bit. If you try this with a normal 8-bit image, turning down the brightness will only cause all the highlights to turn to grey. This is similar to how an HDR image is used for 3D rendering. It uses the 32-bit data to extrapolate the light sources and reflection channels. Although a 3D program does this more accurately, the same principle works with Photoshop too.
And bob, that light bulb is cool. The apple is ok, but I like the bulb.

This a cool thread and interesting read and some great stuff Ronmatt and docilebob :perfect:

How did you do the metal part docilebob? It would be interesting to know your approach (no need to go into great details though), because I'm always open for new ideas. ;)

Honestly, Gaussian, I had to go look in the PSD, it was a long time ago. :)
Seems that there are 3 paths, stroked, and about 13 Layers of mostly hand painted (with an Optical Trackball) highs and lows..
Says it`s a 1.02 MB file, if you`d like me to post it, just lemme know.

docilebob said:

No, just wanted to know the basic approach you used docilebob, because I think you did a very good job on that part, well done. :perfect:

Ah. Thanks.
I`d like to hear any C&C on the glass part, if you have it....

The base is excellently rendered, but I think the bulb itself is a bit cartoony, when combined with the realism of the base. I guess work on the reflections would bring this out. Overall, nice job docilebob. :}

docilebob said:

Changed my mind docilebob, can you send it to picture.gif, I will then add it to this thread. :)

Thanks! My favorite part has gota be the screw. Well done, bob!

Thanks, patrick. My favorite part is generally the screw, too. :)

@SCync : Yes, I see what you mean. I made this one about 5 yars ago, and was new to the pen tool then. I think, also it could be a bit more transparent. Maybe I`ll do another one....Maybe this should be a light bulb challenge ? Anybody ?

docilebob said:
I`d like to hear any C&C on the glass part, if you have it....

The metal part looks good, no doubt about that. The shadow however can be improved. I think it's too dark, considering that it's a cast shadow of a semi-transparent object. Also the center of the shadow needs to be more transparent and reflect the inner shading of the bulb. The shadow's edge is too sharp.

The glass itself can be improved. You do a reasonable good job on the outher edge of the glass, but the center is pretty much a single shade of gray, resulting in the glass looking slightly too flat. It also lacks a reflection of the surface it's on. Mind you, I think you got prety close, however it just needs that extra bit of "punch" to make it stand out. Anyway, that's just my opinion. ;)

Yea, I noticed the shadow when I uploaded it. Poiint taken on the glass, too. I think the additional reflections will cure it, too. If I can shake this flu, I may give it another shot, considering this new info. Thanks for the C&C, all.

Flu!?... Well, I hope you get better soon. :perfect:

When ever I'm working with glass..I use the BLEND OPTION..then Blend IF..

Used docilebob light bulb as an example:

Duplicate the light bulb layer.
I'll separate the little slider triangles (alt-pull appart) then move the half white slider to taste
and set that layer mode to screen
Then I'll go to the next bulb layer and do the same but with the black slider..set that mode to darken.

Just an idea.

lasa

Back