What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GOOD Printing BLACKS

laura

Any info on obtaining good blacks with epson 2200 printer would be great

My blacks are rather warm

Is there anything I can do in channels to get a true black.

rgb prins a bit darker B and W

greyscale mode is a bit lighter

but still to the discerning eye they seema bit magenta toned
What do you think

Laura

Erik

Guru
Does your printer have a profile? If yes, then you can do some colour-management.

Is your monitor calibrated? Did you work your way through the Adobe Gamma utility?

Try this: Create your files in Adobe RGB. Then go to View>New view. This opens a copy of your file. Next Choose Proof > Custom.

try out CMYK, or, if you find it, the generic profile of your printer. Add a levels adjustment layer to this new view. Hold down Alt while dragging the left (dark) slider and drag 'till you see specks of white appear. Then do the same with the right-slider (white) and drag 'till you see black specks appear.

These actions are automatically applied to the original too. Reactivate this, and retry printing.

This is complicated matter indeed, and a good book, or at least some study is necessary. But it pays!

Floydski

We have this printer at work and use it for proofing our catalogue images.

We have had the same trouble with the overall magenta tint. In the short term just simply reduced the magental output from the color menu. Usually dropping it anywhere from 3-4.

Also the black that comes with the printer is made to show higher contrast on the best quality paper. It seems (to me anyway) not to have the richness I usually expect from epson inks on any paper but the high quality glossy. So we bought the optional Matte Black ink. Which works alot better in gerenal.

We have not been able to determine the exact reasons for the magenta in the prints. We are wondering if the problem is something in osx. (ie print Drivers or something with color calibration on out monitors in OSX). As we used to only print/work from OS9. We switched to OSX and bought a the new printer pretty much at the same time. And we haven't had alot of time to experiment. But we used to use an Epson3000 and matched 95% + what was on our screen and what our final catalogue print looked like.

Please post if you find anything interesting out.

-Floyd

Erik

Guru
Thanks, Floyd. This is what I like most: personal experience! Thanks for sharing!
:perfect: