What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient 3D effect

evren

I made this 3d extrusion with a gradient shadow on the extrusion in a hard way. I created 24 layers and colored them all one by one. Please see my psd.

This is actually what I want, it looks sweet but it takes too much time. Is there an easier way to do this exact same effect?

aaaaaaaa.jpg

Attachments

• aaaaaaaa.psd
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a good way of creating this old 3D effect. But is there an easier way of doing it? Maybe.

You should turn the process into an action that creates the layers for you. Instead of using colors, use shades of grey to create the gradation on the extrusion. Now you have an action that will work on any text.

Once done running the action on any text, merge the extrusion layers. Add a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer set to colorize and clip it to your extrusion layer. Now you can convert the extrusion gradients color to match the background color.
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.21.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.25.26 AM.png

evren

i did it but cant make hue saturation work. it just dont change color. can u see my psd, what im doing wrong?

fffff.jpg

Attachments

• fffff.psd
    4.1 MB · Views: 2

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It doesn't change color because you didn't follow my instructions.
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.23.01 AM.png

Here's what I wrote in post #2. Please read carefully.
Add a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer set to colorize and clip it to your extrusion layer.

evren

but i did it. i grouped the 3d layers and created hue saturation and clipped it to the group. what i did wrong?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your very welcome! Glad it worked out for you!

After reading, I apologize for not being more precise and detailed in my instruction. I just assume that you are a more advanced Ps user that's why I didn't go into deeper detail. In the future I will explain better.

evren

no it was quite of a good explanation. i wasnt paying enuff attention at reading :)