What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient in a shape

Vassilis

I want to create a gradient for random curves. I found this answer photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/43928-directional-gradient.html but I need exact the oposit. I found how to do in circle and in squares but I can't find how to do in a "shape".

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gredient in a shape

Hi,

You can do your desired effect in a few simple steps:

1. Create a new layer
2. Press U for the Shapes tool (Press Shift+U to breeze through the kind of shapes and reach your desired shape)
3. Create your shape on the second layer (make sure "Shape layers" is selected in the Shapes tool bar)
Screenshot (12).png

6. Once a vector mask is created, fill the layer with white (#FFFFFF)
Screenshot (13).jpg

7. Upon filling the layer, double click "Shape 1" (or whatever layer has the vector mask) to open the Layer Style dialog box

8. Select Stroke and choose your desired stroke size (default is 3 pixels) and color of stroke
Screenshot (14).png

9. After adding your stroke layer style, add an Inner Glow layer style by selecting "Inner Glow" in the dialog box.
Screenshot (15).png
10. Make sure the blend mode of the inner glow is set to Normal and the size of the inner glow is big (adjust the size to your shape/preference)
11. Just play around the settings of the layer style and you're set! If you want to make the shape go over an image and make that transparent, just make the "Shape 1" layer's blend mode Darken. That will make the outline and gradient of the shape float above the layer/image under it.

You can do this with ANY shape. Any shape meaning, you can create a shape with the pen tool then do the exact same thing. Or any predefined shaped that is pre-installed in Photoshop. And best of all is that you can scale the image and the gradient stays :) Just make sure you scale layer styles.

Hope you can do what you need to do! :)
Gerard Cruz

Thank you for your answer but I Want the oposit (I know my english is not verygood), like the Image.
molinsi1.png
I want the same but in a multipart shape.

I can make that circle gradienty thing it's pretty easy.

Make a circle with the shape tool.

Mask the shape layer and double click the mask icon in the shapes layer.

Select the vector mask icon in the mask properties panel.
Untitled-3.jpg

Feather the radius you can play with the density slider if you like as well.

Ctl T to resize the shape.

Someone more knowledgeable can show you the proper way but thats my easy way:)

Last edited:
View attachment 28694I think what you want is radial style gradient, Look in the gradients window, change where it says style, there are a few option radial, angle, reflected etc etc

As usual, Photoshop has many ways to do one effect. It can be useful to know about clipping masks/layers, which would work for this kind of gradient. iDad's approach is the simplest and best in most cases. But everyone has suggested a method that will be excellent to keep in your own tool box of techniques learned.

Clipping masks can be used to "clip" -- take on the shape -- the gradient pixels to the image below and confine the above layers pixels to just the shape of your original layer. The advantage of a clipping mask is that you can move the above layer around with the move tool (v) and position it wherever you like at any time. You can adjust the gradient in the layer fx as well; but if you want more flexibility without messing around with color stops and so forth, you can ease up some of that manipulation by using the clipping mask.

A clipping mask is made by filling your second layer with the image or gradient or color, then holding down the alt/opt key, position your cursor between the original layer and the above layer, which has your gradient, and click.

The powerful use of the clipping mask is that you can use any kind of pixel or vector to fill your shape. So, for instance, if you have a line of text and would like an image to fill the letters, say a field of colorful flowers (or to fit the theme that seems to be more recently de rigueur, zombie mouths covered in bloody flesh :mrgreen:), you will use a clipping layer mask to do that.

So to the visual examples:

EG1.PNGEG2.PNGEG3.PNGEG4.PNG

You can see on the gradient clipped to the shamrock that I moved the clipped layer to try out the gradient in a different position.

Oh I get what you mean. Just do all the steps I posted and then tick "Gradient" in the Inner Glow of the Layer Style. Done!

Screenshot (16).png

Back