What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grandmothers birthday present of her late husband

Ok so my grandmother turns 80 this coming Febuary, and due to such a rough year for her I wanted to do something a bit special...

I've managed to get a pic of her late husband whilst he was an active serviceman for "The Royal Horse Guards" household cavalry (army) she hasn't seen this photo in good condition in years due to irreparable damage caused by her son (my uncle) shooting at it with a BB gun !!

Sadly this is the only photo remaining of my grandfather (her husband) taken whilst he was in the all other pics she has of him are holiday snaps and the such,

I'd be so immensely grateful if someone could bring this photograph back to it's former glory, .... I'd be even more impressed if someone was able to colour it??

Thanks in advance folks !

Really hope someone can help with this as I had to hire a car, rent a hotel and drive 678 miles JUST to scan the photo :(

Grandad Ron Jennings Guard.jpg

Glad you reposted this, I actually had started on it just for practice then got busy with another project and forgot. Guess we all just got busy...will have another go on it today

I apologize, I've been very busy of late and not had many chances to work on edits.

This is just stage one of restoring this image. I have removed the BB gun shot holes (someone was very angry) and cleaned up the overall image. I've left some of the graininess for now but I hope to remove that later. I want to work on separating the uniform from the background and then coloring.

GrandadRonJenningsGuard_02.jpg

I liken both but IANSAM I love the detail you've gone too in separating the uniform even slightly at this stage, I'd love too see the results if I can be of any assistance with uniform colours let me know and I'll do my best

I'd love too see the results if I can be of any assistance with uniform colours let me know and I'll do my best
Thanks. The resolution of the original photo was very poor even though the scan is larger. There's simply no data to work with. I had hoped I could find some uniform reference, so if you have or know of any please share as it would certainly help in extrapolating further details for the uniform and colors.

Here's some images I've found showing the uniform. I don't know if they looked the same back when.
willpa_450x644.jpg

03AD267A0000044D-2896050-image-a-4_1420367094231.jpg

tumblr_lkku6yAQyL1qam50k.jpg

Aside from the sash, the collar trims and the rifles on cuffs they're the same uniform also back then the tunics were only 3 / 4 buttons as opposed to the more modern 8 button tunic the boots (and stirrups) would be the same as the last image

Thanks again

Sadly regarding resolution that's the best I could get, the original image is very grainy (strange photo paper)

I was bored so i took Iamsam awesome job and practice a little, have some sloopy parts (i was a little tired XD)

Here is my atempt

GrandadRonJenningsGuard_034.jpg
Btw: i wasnt sure, but the think in his right hand is his left hand glove?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back