What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graphics Tablet issues

Sark

Power User
I?ve been using a budget Graphics Tablet for a while now. Whilst this is fine for general brushwork I don?t get on with it enough to use as an alternative to a mouse.

I find that every time I click the button, the pointer moves. Icons move when I open an app, and objects or layers move when I open a context sensitive menu.

I also find that when making selections slowly, or just generally drawing slowly, the pointer/brush is not truly steady. I?ve covered the pad with a sheet of paper which make the tip less slippery, but not enough for steady control.

The problem may well be partly user related, but I suspect the sensitivity of the pad is also to blame. Even with a ruler on the pad, I would have to drag quite quickly to ensure a true straight line.

Just wondering what the more expensive Wacoms are like for controlled drawing/selecting. The unit I?m using is a 12? X 9?, but I only use a 6? X 4.5? area, so a Wacom Intuos is large enough for my needs.

One thing I do like about this unit is the size and weight of the pen. An old 5? X 4? Wacom I once tried had a pen that was the thickness and weight of an empty biro, horrible. The pen I?m using requires an AAA battery, this gives it the weight and thickness of a good quality fountain pen, which feels perfect in the hand.

I would be interested to know if the issues I?m having are just common problems for some individuals when trying to use a pad and pen, or are more likely the due to the quality of the pad itself. Also, do all Wacoms come with skinny light weight pens.

Thanks

Sark

Hi Sark...

I understand your point on this. I use an Intuos 5x4 and it's just fine as far as the drawing area is concerned; for me anywho.

As to your point about:
I also find that when making selections slowly, or just generally drawing slowly, the pointer/brush is not truly steady.
That's usually a sensitivity setting in the Pen setup/control application. At least it is for a Wacom.

Because the Pen functions as a mouse also, it may be faulty mouse drivers at work. Just something to look into. Read up on the "known bugs" for your specific mouse's drivers.

Gittery/sloppy behaviour can also be created through the lack of 'resolution' in the Pen (hardware) itself. The higher the hardware resolution, the more precise/subtle the pen strokes can/will be.

Hope that helps. :B

I'll see if i can get Stu (kiwi) to pop in on this thread. He has a lot of experience using a Wacom tablet.

Mark, thanks for posting.

Unfortunately this unit doesn't have any sensitivity settings other than how hard I need to tap the pen down to simulate a click. There is a pressure sensitivity test area, but this is just for pressure sensitive brush strokes, and even this doesn't do a great deal. The lack of settings are part of the price you pay for a budget unit I guess.

I still have my Intelli-mouse connected and that has always worked just fine, so driver issues are also unlikely. I'm not at home right now, but I vaguely remember reading the unit had a sensitivity of 512 lpi. There is a much larger figure quoted as well, but can't remember what that related to (I know it's not a dpi value), will check tonight.

Thanks again for posting

Sark

Yeah... see "512 lpi" is not a great deal in resolution. That may be the problem right there.

Hi guys.

Sounds to me like one of the switches might be staying open Sark.If they do stay open when you lift youre pen you will drag the layers palette and tabs around with you.

As for Wacoms you can also get refurbished models,and there also Graphires etc which dont cost as much as say the Intuos ones.

Theres thread somewhere on Wacoms and info I will dig it up for you.

Stu.

Mark

Now that I?ve checked the specs I realise I made a mistake regarding the sensitivity settings. The actual figures are: Resolution = 3048 lpi....Sensitivity = 512 steps.

I suspect these figures are no worse than the Wacoms, so maybe I?m just expecting too much from a tablet. I had assumed I would be able to make selections, or draw on my screen as accurately as I could do it if I was tracing an image using pencil and paper. This certainly wouldn?t be possible with the unit I?m using, even by an experienced artist with a steadier hand.

It may be a lack of a sensitivity setting that would allow the pointer movement to be damped to some degree. Maybe this is what the Wacoms have that my unit does not.

Stu

I took the pen to pieces last night and could find no faults. I think it may be due in part to user error combined with the inability to control the sensitivity of the pen.

I'm going to take a look on ebay to see whats available. If I find I get on better with a Wacom I'll get rid of my unit, otherwise I'll just have to accept I'm hopeless with a tablet. We'll see.

Thanks for posting

Sark

Sark said:
Mark

Now that I?ve checked the specs I realise I made a mistake regarding the sensitivity settings. The actual figures are: Resolution = 3048 lpi....Sensitivity = 512 steps.

I suspect these figures are no worse than the Wacoms, so maybe I?m just expecting too much from a tablet. I had assumed I would be able to make selections, or draw on my screen as accurately as I could do it if I was tracing an image using pencil and paper. This certainly wouldn?t be possible with the unit I?m using, even by an experienced artist with a steadier hand.

It may be a lack of a sensitivity setting that would allow the pointer movement to be damped to some degree. Maybe this is what the Wacoms have that my unit does not.

Stu

I took the pen to pieces last night and could find no faults. I think it may be due in part to user error combined with the inability to control the sensitivity of the pen.

I'm going to take a look on ebay to see whats available. If I find I get on better with a Wacom I'll get rid of my unit, otherwise I'll just have to accept I'm hopeless with a tablet. We'll see.

Thanks for posting

Sark

Hmm,no you should be able to do reasonably detailed selections,and draw accurately.It wont be 100% like using a pencil,but mine have all {tablets} come in around I would say 80 - 90% of what I feel using a pencils control etc is like.

When I said switches I believe {I know squat about fixing electronics} the switches are electronic,like say when you click you mouse button down,well the pen should open and electric circuit and let you paint,and when you lift youre pen it should close that circuit and let you stop painting.Its the same as clicking on say the layers palette and moving youre mouse from one side to the other,but it would be like releasing the button and the palette still moves while you move youre mouse.So the switch which detects pressure {I am assuming here} stays open instead of closing.I know this happens smetimes because there is a diagnostic in the menu for Wacoms to test just that.

512 lpi is I think what Intuos 2 had,and Intuos 3 are 1024.I think the lpi is lines per inch also.

Anyway best of luck sorting youre problem out.

Stu.

Stu, thanks for posting again.

If you read my original post you'll see I mention it is a budget unit. By budget I mean it cost me ?30 (UK). About $55. You can now buy them from the same store for just ?25. Although the pad got great reviews, these were naturally, partly based on their price.

I think it's just too much to expect units at this price to give the same performance as a Wacom that would cost ten times as much.

As I don't need such a large pad I'll try a smaller Wacom and hopefully with a bit more practice get better results.

Thanks again.

Sark