What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grunge Textures

ultras1312

Hello lads,
I wanted to ask you if you would help me create this kind of effect, basically grunged corners mostly using grunge textures. Can this be done via Grunge textures images or brushes, or is there any pack that can do it. Also what would be the trick on grunge textures as I only use them with Multiply but can hardly create this effect. Just like in the pic. If you could give me some help would be great.
Thanks

IMG_20200803_114405.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Can this be done via Grunge textures images or brushes, or is there any pack that can do it.
Well....grunge images converted to brushes, already existing grunge brushes, and grunge texture packs all vary in the textures. Not all are suited for this effect..........so the answer is both yes and no. It's a matter of choosing the right one that suits your needs.

Also what would be the trick on grunge textures as I only use them with Multiply but can hardly create this effect.
No tricks. The blend mode of the actual brush can be changed to suite. The blending mode of the layer can be changed to suit. It's again a matter of what is creating the effect you desire!

If you could give me some help would be great.
I usually, unless called for, always use grunge type brushes in normal mode settings and normal layer blending mode. At the most, I will change the opacity of the brush or layer.

Work in layers..........get one layer looking the way you wish and then use another layer if you want to add more, This gives you the opportunity to not only go back to an existing layer if you mess up, you can change the settings/blending options on separate layers.

You can also control the color of the grunge layers by clipping H&S adj layers or Gradient adj layer or Gradient maps. (I always use black as my brush color and change with H&R adj layer if needed)

Orig
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.10.55 AM.png
Green
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.11.20 AM.png
Red
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.11.36 AM.png
Two separate layers of different colors blended
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.17.56 AM.png

Open your Brushes panel while using a grunge brush. You can make many adjustments to the brush............in other words, you don't have to use the brush as is. Experiment with different setting until the brush is doing what you want. If you get it just right, create a preset that you can use in future projects.

Don't limit yourself to "grunge" brush sets only. There are other brush "sets" with textures that may also work. For instance"splatter" sets have some brushes that are perfect for a grunge effect.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No offense intended because I don't think you created the sample image you provided in your OP...............but it looks terrible! It looks like MOLD!! I guess anything around for 88 years would be moldy. I looked for the original image without the mold effect........couldn't find one.

I understand that Grunge is subjective. I feel it should be more subtle.

ultras1312

Hello.

Well....grunge images converted to brushes, already existing grunge brushes, and grunge texture packs all vary in the textures. Not all are suited for this effect..........so the answer is both yes and no. It's a matter of choosing the right one that suits your needs.

No tricks. The blend mode of the actual brush can be changed to suite. The blending mode of the layer can be changed to suit. It's again a matter of what is creating the effect you desire!

I usually, unless called for, always use grunge type brushes in normal mode settings and normal layer blending mode. At the most, I will change the opacity of the brush or layer.

Work in layers..........get one layer looking the way you wish and then use another layer if you want to add more, This gives you the opportunity to not only go back to an existing layer if you mess up, you can change the settings/blending options on separate layers.

You can also control the color of the grunge layers by clipping H&S adj layers or Gradient adj layer or Gradient maps. (I always use black as my brush color and change with H&R adj layer if needed)

Orig
View attachment 114342
Green
View attachment 114343
Red
View attachment 114344
Two separate layers of different colors blended
View attachment 114345

Open your Brushes panel while using a grunge brush. You can make many adjustments to the brush............in other words, you don't have to use the brush as is. Experiment with different setting until the brush is doing what you want. If you get it just right, create a preset that you can use in future projects.

Don't limit yourself to "grunge" brush sets only. There are other brush "sets" with textures that may also work. For instance"splatter" sets have some brushes that are perfect for a grunge effect.
Thanks a lot for all these directions mate and I get it. I really work like that you said but I was curious and into how to create that kind of effect. I appreciate your help and time. About the other reply, haha, it depends on the mind I guess, everyone's got different thoughts about art. Also one last thing, where did you get this kind of texture, is it just by google-ing it now?
Thanks a lot once again and If you could provide me any place I can talk to you again for any other help if possible would be great 🙌

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also one last thing, where did you get this kind of texture, is it just by google-ing it now?
Not sure if this is a general or a specific question referencing the brush I used above. I just looked for different brush sets online. You have to try them out until you find one that meets your needs.

If you could provide me any place I can talk to you again for any other help if possible would be great
Right here in this forum.