What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gurus am curious to know which method you use to cut the ship out of the background?

balavalli

Gurus am curious to know which method you use to cut the ship out of the background? I know I can use the pen tool, channels, and quick selection or select and mask tools.I tried to use the quick selection a.k.a select and mass option.If you see the top of it is messed up completely.How to fix it any idea, help, tips, tutorials, please ?? Especially the top part is complicated. Those poles etc..

Original Image :

Ship.jpg

This is my attempt :

imp.jpg

This is the PSD uploaded Mediafire :

Layered PSD

The most straightforward way is to use a layer mask. You can then use any number of tools to paint the mask around your object. You can use the brush tool and all of the selection tools to get most masking jobs done. This is what I would use for your ship image.

The pen tool is very good for most objects, not the best for other objects depending on their shape.

The most straightforward way is to use a layer mask. You can then use any number of tools to paint the mask around your object. You can use the brush tool and all of the selection tools to get most masking jobs done. This is what I would use for your ship image.

The pen tool is very good for specific objects, not the best for other objects depending on their shape.
Thank you, admin. I used the pen tool in here and cleared everything .but problem is the top part the pole etc..I tried to use Alpha channel method and the quick mask method without any success.

Here's The PSD

Last edited:
If you want to do it like a 'professional', you have to use the pen tool.
There no other way to do it properly. And of course you have to invest some time.
To cut out the ship I would need about 15-20 min.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-26 um 10.42.26.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-10-26 um 10.46.54.jpg

Back